Jun 15, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Yunesky Maya faces an uncertain future after another shaky start last night.
In writing about last night's 8-6 win, I wound up focusing almost entirely on two half-innings: The bottom of the seventh, when the Nationals rallied to score six runs, and the top of the ninth, when Drew Storen intentionally walked Albert Pujols and got Lance Berkman to end the game.
There was, of course, plenty else going on during that wildly entertaining ballgame. So as you pull out your lunchboxes and enjoy leftovers of whatever you are for dinner last night, here are some leftovers from last night's game to chew on as well…
Has the Cuban right-hander's time run out? He certainly hasn't done much of anything to warrant another opportunity after another stinker last night. For the sixth time in nine career starts, Maya failed to reach the sixth inning. For the third time in four starts this season, he failed to get out of the fifth.
Remember, in only six of the Nationals' 67 games this year has the starting pitcher been unable to complete five innings. Maya was theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well