Jun 15, 2011, 3:39 AM EST
On Tuesday, the Nationals first baseman finally conceded what had looked inevitable for a while: He will have surgery Thursday and miss the rest of 2011.
Three weeks after going on the disabled list in a last-ditch attempt to rest the injury and return to action, LaRoche met with team officials and informed them the shoulder had not improved enough to continue.
“A couple weeks ago, when I started this rehab process, I thought there was a chance this would happen,” he said following Tuesday night’s 8-6 win over the Cardinals. “I didn’t want to talk about it because it was something I was hoping would go in the other direction and it didn’t. I’m comfortable we’ve done everything we could possibly do to find out if it needs surgery or not. I’m comfortable with it now.”
Surgery will take place Thursday in Washington by team orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih, who has performed similar shoulder procedures on
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?