Jun 15, 2011, 3:39 AM EDT
On Tuesday, the Nationals first baseman finally conceded what had looked inevitable for a while: He will have surgery Thursday and miss the rest of 2011.
Three weeks after going on the disabled list in a last-ditch attempt to rest the injury and return to action, LaRoche met with team officials and informed them the shoulder had not improved enough to continue.
“A couple weeks ago, when I started this rehab process, I thought there was a chance this would happen,” he said following Tuesday night’s 8-6 win over the Cardinals. “I didn’t want to talk about it because it was something I was hoping would go in the other direction and it didn’t. I’m comfortable we’ve done everything we could possibly do to find out if it needs surgery or not. I’m comfortable with it now.”
Surgery will take place Thursday in Washington by team orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih, who has performed similar shoulder procedures on
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter