Jun 16, 2011, 4:05 AM EDT
Before taking the field Tuesday night for the first time in nine weeks, Ryan Zimmerman tried to downplay the impact his return might have on the Nationals’ woebegone lineup.
“Me coming back is not going to make us score 10 runs every night,” he insisted.
Technically speaking, Zimmerman was right. They’re only scoring nine runs per game since his return.
Oh well, that will just have to suffice.
Buoyed by the addition of their best player, the Nationals tore up the Cardinals pitching staff for the second straight day. Tuesday’s 8-6 win was merely the preamble for Wednesday’s 10-0 rout, matching the largest margin of victory in a shutout since the franchise arrived in town.
Winners of five straight, the Nationals are suddenly flying high, thanks in no small part to the return of their Gold Glove and Silver
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles
- Trout talk: How good is he? (VIDEO)