Jun 16, 2011, 4:05 AM EDT
Before taking the field Tuesday night for the first time in nine weeks, Ryan Zimmerman tried to downplay the impact his return might have on the Nationals’ woebegone lineup.
“Me coming back is not going to make us score 10 runs every night,” he insisted.
Technically speaking, Zimmerman was right. They’re only scoring nine runs per game since his return.
Oh well, that will just have to suffice.
Buoyed by the addition of their best player, the Nationals tore up the Cardinals pitching staff for the second straight day. Tuesday’s 8-6 win was merely the preamble for Wednesday’s 10-0 rout, matching the largest margin of victory in a shutout since the franchise arrived in town.
Winners of five straight, the Nationals are suddenly flying high, thanks in no small part to the return of their Gold Glove and Silver
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes