Jun 16, 2011, 4:05 AM EDT
Before taking the field Tuesday night for the first time in nine weeks, Ryan Zimmerman tried to downplay the impact his return might have on the Nationals’ woebegone lineup.
“Me coming back is not going to make us score 10 runs every night,” he insisted.
Technically speaking, Zimmerman was right. They’re only scoring nine runs per game since his return.
Oh well, that will just have to suffice.
Buoyed by the addition of their best player, the Nationals tore up the Cardinals pitching staff for the second straight day. Tuesday’s 8-6 win was merely the preamble for Wednesday’s 10-0 rout, matching the largest margin of victory in a shutout since the franchise arrived in town.
Winners of five straight, the Nationals are suddenly flying high, thanks in no small part to the return of their Gold Glove and Silver
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall