Jun 16, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
Adam LaRoche had surgery this morning to repair what proved to be a sizable tear of the labrum inside his left shoulder, a procedure that will sideline the Nationals first baseman the rest of the season but should give him enough time to fully recover before spring training.
Club orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih performed the surgery at Washington Hospital Center, repairing a “SLAP” tear, which is a significant tear of the labrum inside the shoulder socket. Several Nationals players have had the same injury in recent years, including Cristian Guzman and Jesus Flores. Each missed at least a full season following surgery.
Though the precise severity of the injury was unknown until Douoguih was able to operate today, the news of it didn’t come as a big surprise. LaRoche had known he had a large tear since undergoing an MRI three weeks ago and landing on the disabled list.
Doctors told the veteran first baseman he could try rest and rehab for a couple of weeks and see if the condition improved enough to allow him to finish the season. But after attempting to throw and swing a
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?