Jun 16, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
Adam LaRoche had surgery this morning to repair what proved to be a sizable tear of the labrum inside his left shoulder, a procedure that will sideline the Nationals first baseman the rest of the season but should give him enough time to fully recover before spring training.
Club orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih performed the surgery at Washington Hospital Center, repairing a “SLAP” tear, which is a significant tear of the labrum inside the shoulder socket. Several Nationals players have had the same injury in recent years, including Cristian Guzman and Jesus Flores. Each missed at least a full season following surgery.
Though the precise severity of the injury was unknown until Douoguih was able to operate today, the news of it didn’t come as a big surprise. LaRoche had known he had a large tear since undergoing an MRI three weeks ago and landing on the disabled list.
Doctors told the veteran first baseman he could try rest and rehab for a couple of weeks and see if the condition improved enough to allow him to finish the season. But after attempting to throw and swing a
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year