Jun 16, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez is hugged by Ivan Rodriguez following his 50th complete game.
Jim Riggleman needed only two words to describe Livan Hernandez's three-hit shutout against the Cardinals last night.
As the Nationals manager put it: "Vintage Livo."
Actually, Riggleman might have been underselling it. "Vintage" implies this was a somewhat typical performance for a guy who has been pitching in the big leagues 16 seasons. Except Hernandez went above and beyond his typical best last night.
In fact, this was arguably the greatest start of Livo's career. Seriously.
There are any number of ways to quantify pitching, but Bill James (the father of sabermetrics) has developed perhaps the best formula around. It's called "Game Score," and it's actually quite simple to calculate.
1. Start with 50 points.
2. Add 1 point for each out recorded.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader