Jun 16, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez is hugged by Ivan Rodriguez following his 50th complete game.
Jim Riggleman needed only two words to describe Livan Hernandez's three-hit shutout against the Cardinals last night.
As the Nationals manager put it: "Vintage Livo."
Actually, Riggleman might have been underselling it. "Vintage" implies this was a somewhat typical performance for a guy who has been pitching in the big leagues 16 seasons. Except Hernandez went above and beyond his typical best last night.
In fact, this was arguably the greatest start of Livo's career. Seriously.
There are any number of ways to quantify pitching, but Bill James (the father of sabermetrics) has developed perhaps the best formula around. It's called "Game Score," and it's actually quite simple to calculate.
1. Start with 50 points.
2. Add 1 point for each out recorded.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss