Jun 18, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse each homered in the Nationals’ 4-2 victory.
Ryan Zimmerman has been a part of winning streaks with the Nationals before. He’s even experienced an eighth-game surge in the big leagues, back in August 2009.
That streak, though, merely brought the Nats to within 32 games of the .500 mark. Not exactly a meaningful stretch, in the grand scheme of things.
This, though, is different. In toppling the Orioles 4-2 on Saturday, the Nationals not only earned their eighth consecutive victory. They put themselves on the precipice of a .500 record, with the promise of even better things still to come.
“It kind of shows how much we’ve grown up as a team,” Zimmerman said. “The last two years we’ve been really young. Playing in these games in the middle of the season — when it means something — takes a little bit more concentration, maybe a little more mental toughness.”
Yes, it takes the right mental approach. But it also helps to have talent, something the Nationals possess more of now than at any previous time during their tenure in this town.
Look at the key contributors to Saturday’s win, starting with the pitching staff. Jordan Zimmermann (who earned the victory with 6 1/3
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip