Jun 18, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse each homered in the Nationals’ 4-2 victory.
Ryan Zimmerman has been a part of winning streaks with the Nationals before. He’s even experienced an eighth-game surge in the big leagues, back in August 2009.
That streak, though, merely brought the Nats to within 32 games of the .500 mark. Not exactly a meaningful stretch, in the grand scheme of things.
This, though, is different. In toppling the Orioles 4-2 on Saturday, the Nationals not only earned their eighth consecutive victory. They put themselves on the precipice of a .500 record, with the promise of even better things still to come.
“It kind of shows how much we’ve grown up as a team,” Zimmerman said. “The last two years we’ve been really young. Playing in these games in the middle of the season — when it means something — takes a little bit more concentration, maybe a little more mental toughness.”
Yes, it takes the right mental approach. But it also helps to have talent, something the Nationals possess more of now than at any previous time during their tenure in this town.
Look at the key contributors to Saturday’s win, starting with the pitching staff. Jordan Zimmermann (who earned the victory with 6 1/3
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals