Jun 19, 2011, 10:28 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman is thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double.
The ball bounced right to Ryan Zimmerman, and as he turned to throw to second base, everyone in the crowd of 35,439 at Nationals Park must have had the same thought: Tailor-made double play. He always makes that play.
And then the ball came out of Zimmerman’s hand, sailed past a lunging Danny Espinosa and skipped into right field for the first of three Nationals errors on the afternoon.
“We played sloppy, and that’s what cost us,” Zimmerman said later, after the Nationals had lost 7-4 to the Orioles and seen their winning streak snapped at eight. “Obviously, I have to make that play. That kind of changes the momentum of the whole game.”
Zimmerman’s second-inning error alone didn’t alter the outcome of the game, but he’s right: It did set a tone of sloppy baseball that stood in stark contrast to the crisp play this team had exhibited throughout its winning streak and even before that.
Very little about this game resembled those that preceded it. A Nationals club that had put itself on the precipice of a .500 record via quality pitching, flawless defense and timely hitting exhibited none of
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner