Jun 19, 2011, 10:28 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman is thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double.
The ball bounced right to Ryan Zimmerman, and as he turned to throw to second base, everyone in the crowd of 35,439 at Nationals Park must have had the same thought: Tailor-made double play. He always makes that play.
And then the ball came out of Zimmerman’s hand, sailed past a lunging Danny Espinosa and skipped into right field for the first of three Nationals errors on the afternoon.
“We played sloppy, and that’s what cost us,” Zimmerman said later, after the Nationals had lost 7-4 to the Orioles and seen their winning streak snapped at eight. “Obviously, I have to make that play. That kind of changes the momentum of the whole game.”
Zimmerman’s second-inning error alone didn’t alter the outcome of the game, but he’s right: It did set a tone of sloppy baseball that stood in stark contrast to the crisp play this team had exhibited throughout its winning streak and even before that.
Very little about this game resembled those that preceded it. A Nationals club that had put itself on the precipice of a .500 record via quality pitching, flawless defense and timely hitting exhibited none of
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?