Jun 19, 2011, 3:18 PM EST
Updated at 1:05 p.m.
The Nationals placed outfielder Rick Ankiel on the 15-day disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle this morning, a move that cleared roster space for left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to be activated off the DL and start the series finale against the Orioles.
Ankiel hadn't played since Tuesday, when he felt a twinge in his ribcage tracking down Ryan Theriot's base hit to center field in the top of the first. He departed the game one inning later, not wanting to risk further injury.
The 31-year-old had resumed baseball activities over the weekend and took batting this morning. The ribcage strain, though, requires rest in order to heal — Ryan Zimmerman missed the final 10 games of the 2010 season with the same injury — so the Nationals took no chances and placed Ankiel on the DL.
"It feels better, definite improvement," Ankiel said. "But it's a touchy area. If I really blow that area out, I'm in trouble. So take the extraRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett