Jun 19, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
Updated at 1:05 p.m.
The Nationals placed outfielder Rick Ankiel on the 15-day disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle this morning, a move that cleared roster space for left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to be activated off the DL and start the series finale against the Orioles.
Ankiel hadn't played since Tuesday, when he felt a twinge in his ribcage tracking down Ryan Theriot's base hit to center field in the top of the first. He departed the game one inning later, not wanting to risk further injury.
The 31-year-old had resumed baseball activities over the weekend and took batting this morning. The ribcage strain, though, requires rest in order to heal — Ryan Zimmerman missed the final 10 games of the 2010 season with the same injury — so the Nationals took no chances and placed Ankiel on the DL.
"It feels better, definite improvement," Ankiel said. "But it's a touchy area. If I really blow that area out, I'm in trouble. So take the extraRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond