Jun 19, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats are looking for their third straight sweep and ninth straight win today.
Let's see, it's Father's Day. The Nationals are on an eight-game winning streak. They're one game under .500. And they should be playing in front of a near-full house this afternoon at Nationals Park. Yes, life is good right now.
In their quest for consecutive victory No. 9 and a 36-36 record, the Nationals will send Tom Gorzelanny to the mound for the first time in three weeks. The left-hander says he's feeling great after a brief DL stint for elbow inflammation. We'll see if he can continue the remarkable performance his rotation mates have provided during this streak.
If you missed the news earlier, Rick Ankiel has been placed on the 15-day DL to clear roster space for Gorzelanny. Roger Bernadina has capably taken over everyday duties in center field and is in the lineup today batting second behind Jayson Werth.
With right-hander Chris Jakubauskas starting for the Orioles — has a pitching matchup ever featured more combined letters than the 21 it takes to spell both Jakubauskas and Gorzelanny? — Laynce Nix is back in the cleanup spot and in left field. Ian Desmond, meanwhile, gets a day off to rest his nagging thigh injury. Alex Cora starts at shortstop.
Happy Father's Day to everyone out there! Plenty of updates to come…
ORIOLES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WTEM (980 AM), XM 187
Weather: Cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5