Jun 19, 2011, 4:37 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats are looking for their third straight sweep and ninth straight win today.
Let's see, it's Father's Day. The Nationals are on an eight-game winning streak. They're one game under .500. And they should be playing in front of a near-full house this afternoon at Nationals Park. Yes, life is good right now.
In their quest for consecutive victory No. 9 and a 36-36 record, the Nationals will send Tom Gorzelanny to the mound for the first time in three weeks. The left-hander says he's feeling great after a brief DL stint for elbow inflammation. We'll see if he can continue the remarkable performance his rotation mates have provided during this streak.
If you missed the news earlier, Rick Ankiel has been placed on the 15-day DL to clear roster space for Gorzelanny. Roger Bernadina has capably taken over everyday duties in center field and is in the lineup today batting second behind Jayson Werth.
With right-hander Chris Jakubauskas starting for the Orioles — has a pitching matchup ever featured more combined letters than the 21 it takes to spell both Jakubauskas and Gorzelanny? — Laynce Nix is back in the cleanup spot and in left field. Ian Desmond, meanwhile, gets a day off to rest his nagging thigh injury. Alex Cora starts at shortstop.
Happy Father's Day to everyone out there! Plenty of updates to come…
ORIOLES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WTEM (980 AM), XM 187
Weather: Cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park