Jun 19, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
Mike Rizzo, obviously, is pleased with the eight-game winning streak the Nationals carried into today's series finale against the Orioles. But the general manager isn't necessarily surprised by this sudden success, given what he had seen in the weeks leading up to it.
Nor does he believe the winning streak will change his approach to roster-shaping at the July 31 trade deadline.
"No, it doesn't," Rizzo said this morning. "I've got a plan and a vision what we'd like the team to look like through this year, at the end of the year and into next year. So our plans won't change. We'll have the same strategy as far as the trade deadline and that type of thing."
The Nationals entered the day one game under .500, 3 1/2 games out the NL wild-card race. Rizzo, though, saw signs of this streak a few weeks ago, even when his team was losing close games.
"I always lean on the fact that we were actually hitting the ball pretty well before we went on the streak, and they were being caught," he. "The San Francisco series was kind of a microcosm of where we were on the season. We were hitting the ball extremely hard at people, andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.