Jun 19, 2011, 6:13 PM EST
Mike Rizzo, obviously, is pleased with the eight-game winning streak the Nationals carried into today's series finale against the Orioles. But the general manager isn't necessarily surprised by this sudden success, given what he had seen in the weeks leading up to it.
Nor does he believe the winning streak will change his approach to roster-shaping at the July 31 trade deadline.
"No, it doesn't," Rizzo said this morning. "I've got a plan and a vision what we'd like the team to look like through this year, at the end of the year and into next year. So our plans won't change. We'll have the same strategy as far as the trade deadline and that type of thing."
The Nationals entered the day one game under .500, 3 1/2 games out the NL wild-card race. Rizzo, though, saw signs of this streak a few weeks ago, even when his team was losing close games.
"I always lean on the fact that we were actually hitting the ball pretty well before we went on the streak, and they were being caught," he. "The San Francisco series was kind of a microcosm of where we were on the season. We were hitting the ball extremely hard at people, andRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?