Jun 19, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
Mike Rizzo, obviously, is pleased with the eight-game winning streak the Nationals carried into today's series finale against the Orioles. But the general manager isn't necessarily surprised by this sudden success, given what he had seen in the weeks leading up to it.
Nor does he believe the winning streak will change his approach to roster-shaping at the July 31 trade deadline.
"No, it doesn't," Rizzo said this morning. "I've got a plan and a vision what we'd like the team to look like through this year, at the end of the year and into next year. So our plans won't change. We'll have the same strategy as far as the trade deadline and that type of thing."
The Nationals entered the day one game under .500, 3 1/2 games out the NL wild-card race. Rizzo, though, saw signs of this streak a few weeks ago, even when his team was losing close games.
"I always lean on the fact that we were actually hitting the ball pretty well before we went on the streak, and they were being caught," he. "The San Francisco series was kind of a microcosm of where we were on the season. We were hitting the ball extremely hard at people, andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies