Jun 20, 2011, 1:25 PM EST
Jerry Hairston and I go back a ways. Ten years ago, he was a young, starting second baseman for the Orioles. And I was a young beat writer covering him in Baltimore.
Plenty has changed, for both of us, over the last decade. Hairston has become something of a super-utility man, versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field while also being able to settle in at one position for an extended stretch when needed (as he did at third base when Ryan Zimmerman was on the DL). The son, and grandson, of a big-leaguer, he’s also now father to a baseball-loving son (Jackson) who could perhaps take over the family business some day.
Jerry was nice enough to join me for a video interview the other day and discuss those subjects, and more. Enjoy…
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves