Jun 20, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
Jerry Hairston and I go back a ways. Ten years ago, he was a young, starting second baseman for the Orioles. And I was a young beat writer covering him in Baltimore.
Plenty has changed, for both of us, over the last decade. Hairston has become something of a super-utility man, versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field while also being able to settle in at one position for an extended stretch when needed (as he did at third base when Ryan Zimmerman was on the DL). The son, and grandson, of a big-leaguer, he’s also now father to a baseball-loving son (Jackson) who could perhaps take over the family business some day.
Jerry was nice enough to join me for a video interview the other day and discuss those subjects, and more. Enjoy…
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats
- Scherzer doubtful for Tuesday's start
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss
- Intentional or not, Harper leads MLB in walks
- Nationals open long road trip in Miami