Jun 20, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
Jerry Hairston and I go back a ways. Ten years ago, he was a young, starting second baseman for the Orioles. And I was a young beat writer covering him in Baltimore.
Plenty has changed, for both of us, over the last decade. Hairston has become something of a super-utility man, versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field while also being able to settle in at one position for an extended stretch when needed (as he did at third base when Ryan Zimmerman was on the DL). The son, and grandson, of a big-leaguer, he’s also now father to a baseball-loving son (Jackson) who could perhaps take over the family business some day.
Jerry was nice enough to join me for a video interview the other day and discuss those subjects, and more. Enjoy…
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense