Jun 21, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ichiro Suzuki and the Mariners make their first-ever appearance at Nationals Park.
The Mariners have made only one trip to Washington before: In June 2005, during the Nationals' club-record 10-game winning streak. Actually, win No. 10 came on Sunday, June 12, against Seattle, with Chad Cordero (who sadly announced his retirement from baseball yesterday) recording the save.
The only Mariner of significance from that previous visit still with the club is the great Ichiro Suzuki, who even at age 37 remains one of the most-exciting players in baseball to watch. Enjoy these next three nights, because the star right fielder is indeed one-of-a-kind. There's at least one other familiar face in Seattle's lineup tonight: Adam Kennedy, who never panned out here last season but tonight is batting third for the Mariners (who obviously have some offensive issues).
Livan Hernandez takes the mound for the Nationals, once again batting eighth. Ian Desmond returns to the lineup after missing Sunday's game with a sore thigh muscle.
Updates to come…
MARINERS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Chance of storms, 82 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury