Game 74: Mariners at Nats

Jun 22, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look to make it two in a row (and 10 of 11) tonight.

Last night's thriller took plenty of people by surprise, but maybe it shouldn't have. You see, since arriving in town, the Nationals have completely owned the Mariners. They've played each other seven times, and the Nats have won seven times. (Maybe Mark Lerner needs to push for his team to be realigned to the AL West.)

They'll look to make it eight in a row, and attempt to reach the .500 mark, tonight when John Lannan takes the mound against Erik Bedard in a match-up of left-handers. Lannan has been nothing short of brilliant over the last month, posting a 1.08 ERA and a .186 batting average against through his last five starts.

Bedard, the former Orioles first-round pick, has pitched quite well himself after missing all of last season following shoulder surgery. Jim Riggleman will counter with what has become his standard lineup against lefties: Ian Desmond bats second, Danny Espinosa bats fifth, Jerry Hairston bats seventh and start in left field.

Plenty of updates to come…

MARINERS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF

STARTING LINEUPS
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Need to congratulate Wily Mo Pena on his return to the show last night and hitting a solo HR for the victorious Diamondbacks.Now let's get to .500!! Go Nats!

2. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

And Mark… any update on Nix's achilles?

3. P. Cole - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Roger Bernadina is quietly batting .283 (3rd on the team behind Morse and Zim) with a .340 OBP and 10 stolen bases.Rick who???

4. Nats Outsider - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Tonight's game is bigger than most: If they win tonight, not only do the Nats get to .500 for the season, they guarantee another series win, AND they show that they can keep going without a letdown after yesterday's hugely emotional win. Go for it, guys!

5. SCNatsFan - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

OK, OK, I get it… tonight I keep watching no matter what the score..500… us? Smells like some real progress for the franchise, something I was doubting a month ago.

6. natsfan1a - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I second that emotion, Outsider. Go get 'em, boys!

7. SonnyG10 - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM

To borrow a phrase from some of you other bloggers, GYFNG!!!!!

8. Grandstander - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Bernadina has been mashing the ball since Ankiel went down, slashing .444//483/.815. That's an insane 1.298 OPS. Pretty good production for your #9 hitter. But remember, we CAN NOT abandon Rick Ankiel. We MUST find a way to work him into the lineup. The team as a whole has been on an insane tear. We've scored at least 4 runs every game, had at least 7 hits every game, and with the lone exception of that game on Tuesday, have hit at least 1 HR, 14 total in 7 games.During the homestand, the team is slashing .298/.352/.529The only individual who can top that for the season is Morse.

9. Waddu eye no - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Hoist them on their own bedard.

10. sjm308 - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Have constantly told my son he needs to name his first kid "Willie Mo" for some reason my daughter in law is not thrilled with that name (typical Mets fan but we are working on her). Seriously, he has had a great first 1/2 in AAA with 21 homers and while he needs to be a dh here's hoping he makes it.I am ready for another series win tonight and will also keep that broom handy.GYFNG!!

11. Gonat - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Grandstander – Bernadina is like Morse in that he was initially treated like a capable backup by Riggleman and has had to prove he could be a starter.On the other hand, Rizzo hasn't shown Bernadina much respect in my opinion. He had Bernadina convinced that he was going to compete for LF and Bernie came into Spring Training bulked up like he had to be a HR hitter and being something he is not. This was mentioned by others also which I agree with. Bernadina is a speed and gap guy and as we have seen can slap HRs too. He is not a power hitter and shouldn't try to be one. He tried it last year too often and it hurt his swing.If Rizzo dumped Nyjer after the 2010 season, Bernadina could have embarked on the correct path which is as a natural centerfielder or a gap power corner outfielder. As you can see, Bernadina has slimmed down and getting back into the guy we saw impress last year.Personally, I would like to see him bunt when the infield plays him deeper.

12. P. Cole - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I don't have any stats to back this up but I'm willing to bet Bernie is a much better bunter than Nyjer ever was. And I don't mean bunting for hits. Nyjer couldn't even get the bunt down between the lines and would eventually go to 0-2 and strike out.Bernie is as close to a 5-tool player as we have on the roster. Should have been up here since Day 1.

13. Anonymous - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Dollar hot dog night, get there with you Washington Post for a $10 discount and now you got something!

14. Drew8 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I think there's a glitch in the lineup.Batting sixth is Bobby Thomson.GYFNG!!!!!!!!!!

15. JaneB - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Headed to the stadium now, and the grin I'm wearing has been there for the last 19 or so hours.GYFNG!

16. LoveDaNats - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Right behind you JaneB. Leaving now. Hope they can keep it up. I'd love to be there when they hit .500!GYFNG! (peer pressure)

17. DFL - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Although Riggleman's faith in a winning line-up is understandable, Jayson Werth was not signed to a big contract to be a mediocre lead-off man. Werth needs to hit third and knock in runs. Bernadina should lead off and Desmond hit second. Zimmerman fourth, Morse fifth. Anyway, the Nats are winning mostly because their defense has been sterling and the pitching has usually been top-notch.

18. Drew8 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

P.S. Bobby Thomson was born in Glasgow. Aye, he sure hacked Branca's gorse.

19. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Lets win the series and get back to .500GYFNG (hard to type when you are dislexic

20. waddu eye no - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

anyone selling GYFNG Tshirts yet?

21. Anonymous - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM

GYFNG tshirts — also Beast Mode! You sell tem , we'll buy em.

22. Anonymous - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM

alright, seriously, what is GYFNG?

23. A DC Wonk - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Eckstein!Just following up on something I mentioned in another thread. To recap: the papers (I think Nats Journal in WaPo) were reporting that when League left and Pauley came in to get the final out for the Mariners, Espi and Ramos turned to Eckstein and asked how to hit him, because they knew nothing about him.Eckstein huddled with them both, and told them that Pauley likes to get ahead on hitters with fastballs, and then use the change-up to get hitters out.This actually helped both of them.Espi got a single by swinging on a first-pitch fastball.Ramos, too, was waiting for a first-pitch fastball — and it came. Ramos was ready and swung a home-run swing, but fouled it off. After the next pitch was a fastball for a ball, Ramos knew a change-up would be coming. It was, and he uncorked his home-run swing again — this time, connecting.Credit, of course, goes to to Espi and Ramos for executing. But a lot of credit to Eck for proper preparation, and telling them exactly what pitches they were going to see.I'm thinking that — aside from Ramos — probably the happiest and proudest person on the planet last night was Eck.

24. erocks33 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Grandstander said…But remember, we CAN NOT abandon Rick Ankiel. We MUST find a way to work him into the lineup. *************************************************Thanks, Grandstander … I just about spit my water out reading this!Also, let's wish LannEn another excellent start!!

25. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM

A DC Wonk: I wrote about Eckstein's crash course on Pauley's tendencies with Espinosa and Ramos in last night's game story.

26. bobn - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM

My forehead is still bleeding after I woke up and saw the wrap up on MASN and my head fell on my computer table….

27. natsfan1a - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Groan, Waddu (didn't want you to think nobody noticed that one).Nice shot, Drew. ;-)Anon, as originally used by Sunshine Bobby Carpenter commenter, Go You F(fill in gerund of your choice here) Nats Guys.Thanks for picking us up on the LannEn front, erocks.Let the gorse-hacking/Beast Mode begin, um, continue.

28. Unkyd - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM

GYFNG belongs on the left chest…On the back, in big letters:HACKING THROUGH THE GORSE!!!

29. natsfan1a - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Good gracious, bobn, that sounds distressingly like this:"(Dave) Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres."Hope that it's still on your shoulders and you feel better soon.Good call on the tee, Unk.

30. Unkyd - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Oh…and that would be twogroans Waddu… ;)

31. FS - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Watching Dodgers vs Tigers game and is Scully awesome or what? I just love how he sounds. He is not trying to cram the listener with information. Takes his time to convey his info, in his awesome voice.

32. Dave - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Okay, JaneB, you must cause them to win. I'm watching MASN tonight. I'll be there tomorrow–I hope to see them complete the sweep.Hope you have a great GYFNG night at the ballpark.

33. Dave - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Oh yes, and you newbie Anons who keep asking about GYFNG: check out comment threads from earlier this week. It's been elucidated several times.Not trying to be snarky, but rather to guide you to some great threads underneath some great main posts.

34. Anonymous - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM

GYFNG — Go you freaking nats go!

35. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Bernie comments.. Rizzo was on with Loverro today and had nothing but high praise for Bernie.. his comment was that injuries have hampered him but is very impressed with him since the call up. So at least Bernie is getting his chance!!!!

36. A DC Wonk - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Mark — sorry, I missed that you also wrote about it. (I'm still catching up — so much has been written in the last 21 hours!)

37. natsfan1a - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Mark said, "Doctors don't believe Kimball will need anything more than that rest to get himself healthy. "I say, ya know, if I had $1 for every time I've heard that from a Nats doc, I could buy a boatload of $1 hot dogs. Okay, happy thoughts…here's wishing a speedy and full recovery for Cole.I second Dave's thoughts re. tonight, and will also be helping hold down the fort at Nats Park tomorrow.

38. dj in Fl. - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM

natsfan1a–I had to laugh when reading the St. Louis blogs after Pujols injury. Sounded just like ours after an injury, they can not read an x-ray, never get return time right, it has to be twice as bad as what they report. I guess the only difference was they didn't use it as an excuse to fire their manager.GYNFG

39. Sec3MySofa - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Great Year For New Guys.

40. Jim Webster - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Free wings for 6 runs offer got us into Hard Times Cafe tonight for first time in about 15 years. Not bad. Hope we get many more opportunities to go back this season.

41. TimDz - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Two thoughts….Did Zimmerman look a bit closer to the plate at his first at bat?If there wasn't a man in scoring position after a run had just scored, does Ramos get plunked?

42. baseballswami - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Ramos won't get plunked by Seattle — Cardinals definitely would have – that's just how they roll. But if they want to give us a free baserunner – fine by me.

43. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM

FP is doing it again with the X MO…

44. TimDz - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Bballswami…Ramos did a slow trot against the D-Backs a while back and stood back and admired his homer last night (in his defense, it WAS a thing of beauty), my fear is that he may get a rep…I am hoping Pudge and some of the other vets will talk to him

45. Sec3MySofa - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Great Yearning Forces New GamersGifts You Found Nobody GivesGive Yesterday's Failures No … [further consideration]

46. Sec3MySofa - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM

a little help there?

47. Wally - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM

MicheleS – right?!!If I was the MASN producer, I would make sure that he is never left alone with that thing.

48. FS - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Agreed TimDz, I thought the same thing last night. Pudge needs to talk to Ramos, that's for sure.Anyways, Nats need to get going at the plate. The only run, we got was thanks to the error.

49. Sunderland - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:57 PM

A slow trot while the pitcher is on the mound is one thing. A slow trot on a walk-off is perfectly acceptable, no reason any team in MLB would be upset by it.

50. Wally - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM

From MLB Trade Rumors (on how the $100m contract guys are doing)Jayson Werth, seven-year, $126MM contract – Werth is hitting just .233/.334/.409, though he has 10 home runs. Nationals fans may be consoled by the fact that Werth erupted in the second half last year and has traditionally produced better after the All-Star break.

51. MicheleS - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM

And lets remember, that slow trot in AZ was after the bean ball wars.. he will get hit, but it won't be until August when the Dbacks come to town.

52. baseballswami - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

If they want to give you a free base – take it – but let's make sure that one scores. And run home really slow. Sure, Ramos was pimping it last night- I think most hitters would have in that situation. I recently heard a sports talking head explaining that the south american players are used to a little more show-boating. Look at big-papi – they can be 10 runs behind and he admires his work. Baseball players can be a little bland sometimes – a little personality is a welcome change. Some teams are just too sensitive about being "shown up". Put on your big boy panties and deal with it.

53. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I have to admit, I'm using the MLB At Bat app synchronized with the delayed DVR TV thing to get Charlie & Dave in my ears with MASN video.I'll be glad when Carpy is back in the broadcast booth with the PBP.

54. Anonymous - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:14 AM

C'mon Nats. Get Your Fresh New Gloves!!

55. Sunderland - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM

C'mon Nats. Give Your Foes No Grace!(Afraid I'm not very good at this game)

56. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM

God love him but I can't take more than 3 sentences an hour from Johnny Holiday. I've gone to the mute button.You're lucky, Dave.

57. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM

That MLB At Bat app is the best $15 a year I spend. I'm hearing great play-by-play.It only gets a little weird like in that last half inning when MASN focused on Zimmy for a long time. I knew they were talking about him, but had no idea what they were saying.

58. MicheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:27 AM

NatsJack.. any info on the Spring Training site? Any more mention down in the FL of possible move to Gulf side or god forbid AZ?

59. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:28 AM

FP is blatantly pimping for the Shake Shack guys to bring him stuff each game.Gotta admit its working, I would really like to try it.

60. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM

I like the Shake Shack just fine. In fact, that whole Scoreboard Walk feels more like a gathering place now. I imagine it's getting to be more like what they conceived it to be originally.

61. MIcheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Wally, had the garlic/parm fries from Box Frite… it was really good, but not worth $10.. but the shake sounds good….

62. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM

MicheleS…. nothing lately. Now that the Gulf Coast Rookie League has started their season, I'll be going over and catch a couple of games in July. I'll check with a good source that I have and get back to everybody.And I work with municipalities in Florida and NOBODY has funds for developing any new facilities.

63. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I would like to try the cheeseburger and shake. Any opinion on the cheesburger v. 5 Guys? I am a big fan of 5 guys.Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it

64. FS - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Another error. Desi's first since his first child I think. This game is not exactly the most smooth fielding wise.

65. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM

I think this is a good call pulling Lannan. He has given up a few rockets after that Ichiro shot off his foot.

66. Drew8 - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Tighten up Ebby Calvin. Knock the fungus off your shower shoes…

67. MIcheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM

who is the ump behind the plate.. he has missed some calls tonight..

68. MicheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Drew8.. LOL.. thought the exact same thing.. Million dollar arm and a 5 Cent head

69. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Ok, here is a little heresy: with these changed throwing mechanics, did anyone have the pre-child 'Desi gut- clench' on that easy roller to Zim right there?

70. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Drew8/MIcheleS – ok, but does anyone get as many 'whatchu talking 'bout, Willis' looks from batters than Hank?I like having hom on our side.

71. Sam - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Disclaimer: John Lannan is my favorite pitcher.Coming into this start, Lannan had a .207 BABIP against, 97% LOB, and a 4.99 FIP in June. I am not looking forward to the point where luck turns against him.

72. MicheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:15 AM

OH MY… ICHIRO strikes out!.. SWEETWally.. We need Hank.. he has GOT to hit Screech at least once his year!!!

73. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Anyone notice that guy fighting the little girl for the foul ball (and winning)? At least he didn't keep it.

74. dj in Fl. - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Who has the Klaxon at home? Navy Nat maybe?Anyway fire that bad boy up and let the neighbors know we are at .500, turned the corner and not looking back!GYFNG!

75. Wally - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM

.500! Way to go, Nats.

76. Nats Insider - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM

And the next streak has begun!!

77. MicheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM

This is really nice…

78. FS - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:50 AM

We are at .500 and climbing!!!

79. Unkyd - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:50 AM

BANG! ZOOM!!!

80. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Nats win! Nats win!I hope to see them sweep tomorrow!

81. dryw - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:04 AM

.500 is just as beautiful as I dreamed it would be…..GYFNG!!

82. natsfan1a - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Yep, hoping to cheer them going over .500 tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll try the Shake Shack, too. Tried the taqueria on Sunday and liked it pretty well.Also, just noticed the Mariners memorial patch for Dave Niehaus tonight. A black oval with what looks to be a microphone on the left side, with Dave in larger letters on the right side, and "My oh my" in smaller letters underneath. Nice.I'm blocked as far as GYFNG possibilities. Sorry, sec3. Maybe I'll have an inspiration later.

83. MicheleS - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I bet JaneB is still smiling!GYFNG!!!!

84. Anonymous - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Danny's average is starting to creep up!!!

85. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Rooting hard for the Oakland A's right now. Go Hammer! Hurt the Mutts!

86. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Oops. No Hammer in the A's lineup tonight.

87. natsfan1a - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Good Young Fielders Nice GlovesGot Your .500 New GroundGot Your Fun Nail-biter GamesGo Yard, Flame-throw, Nail-down Games(That's all I got, coach.)

88. sjm308 - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Really nice win in a tight ballgame. Bullpen solid once again, saw this coming weeks ago (bullpen, not the winning streak). Did anyone else notice that in this very tense game there was an idiot in the front row, to the right of homeplate in seats that have to cost a couple of hundred dollars and he could have cared less about the game. Was constantly turning around to talk to someone in the second row. Between Johnny telling me we already had this game won and this idiot not paying attention I was going nuts. Finally with two strikes on Figgins he figured out that everyone else around him was standing up so he did the same but had no clue what was happening. If I could ever afford those seats I would be so into the game but I will hang in 308 tomorrow with my broom and new lucky hat.Go Nats!

89. Navy Nats Fan - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:21 AM

DJ in FL, I did give the home-version of the klaxon a quick blast upon Drew's strikeout of Figgins – goosebumps! By the way, I checked out the ESPN chat board (sec 140), which is completely overrun by Mariners fans with no life – wow do they hate Chone Figgins. Bet they love him even more after he watched three pitches go by without lifting the bat off his shoulder….

90. sjm308 - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Dave: hammer was out of the lineup yesterday as well. Probably time for his annual injury. Hope I am wrong because he was one of the good guys.

91. natsfan1a - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Sore achilles tendon for the Hammer, according to the SF Chronicle (same injury as Nix, right?). I always liked Josh, too. (Actually, could have added his walkoff vs. the O's to my fave games list.)

92. dj in Fl. - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Way to go Navy Nats Fan!Lets do it again tomorrow!

93. Dave - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM

A's tie the game in the top of the 9th. Conor Jackson scores Coco Crisp with 2 outs in the 9th.Mets fans are growling right now.

94. Drew8 - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:33 AM

It's party time!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO3zEeusKWU&feature=related

95. natsfan1a - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM

96. Anonymous - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:54 AM

And will the Mets lose again? K-Rod blew it in the 9th.

97. FS - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:00 AM

You guys are cracking me up. Keep them coming. Only people who seen Austin Powers movies will get the clip by natsfan1a.BTW I must admit I was not feeling the most comfortable during this game. I kept thinking they might blow the lead to any batter.

98. Drew8 - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Consider the magnitude of this achievement:1. Strasburg is out for virtually the entire season.2. LaRoche is lost for the season after hitting .172 with 15 RBIs.3. Ryan Zimmerman misses 58 games.4. On May 31 the Nats had lost 13 of 17 and were staring down the barrel at Cliff Lee.5. The Nats play in a division with the best and the fifth-best teams in all of baseball.And yet, here they are at 37-37, a .500 club with Strasburg, Harper and Rendon just over the horizon.Remarkable.

99. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Bullpen does a great job again.

100. NatsNut - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Can I join in?Sofa, how about "Gas"Give Yesterday's Failures No GAS=)

101. SonnyG10 - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Just got home from the game. Excellent win!! This is what .500 baseball feels like!! Now I would like to explore the over side of .500. Won the series tonight…lets get the sweep tomorrow. GYFNG!!!

102. JaneB - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Michelle, I'm still smiling. This is the .500 smile. sjm, I didn't notice that. But I did notice some kid in our section who spent the better part of four innings trying to get the Wave going. His drunk Dad was assisting him. Fine in an early inning, if it's a laugher. But in a tight game, it really annoys me, I ended up telling them to cut it out when they tried again in the ninth. The ninth! In a one run game! I was not smiling then. I was against the wave before, and now that our team is for real, I wish never to see it again. Except in the Phillies, Nats, Braves or Marlins stadiums. They can wave all they want.I'm done ranting now. I'm getting ready for my one over .500 smile.

103. m20832 - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I feel the broom needs to come out! And the Nats will be on the WINNING side of .500! GYFNG!!!!

104. Joe Seamhead - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM

JaneB, I was at the game, too, and the wave had no place, especially in a tight game when our guys are up to bat. It's distracting to the batter, and irritating to fans that are tuned in to the game.As to Ramos slowly making his way around the bases after hitting a walk off HR, if that bothers anybody on the other team, to hell with them. Make better pitches. I say have a nice trot. A little bit of attitude is not a bad thing.