Jun 22, 2011, 10:48 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Todd Coffey and his bullpen mates have been phenomenal over the last two weeks.
Lost amid the high drama of Tuesday night’s ninth-inning comeback was the exceptional work done by the Nationals bullpen to give its lineup a chance at rallying to beat the Mariners.
When starter Livan Hernandez couldn’t record an out in the fifth inning, manager Jim Riggleman was forced to turn to his relief corps early. Ryan Mattheus, Collin Balester and Todd Coffey responded by tossing a combined five scoreless innings. At the time, with the Nationals trailing by four runs, those innings didn’t seem too important. By the time Wilson Ramos crushed his game-winning homer, those innings proved invaluable.
“You’ve got to be able to do that,” Riggleman said. “In today’s world, you can have no soft spots in your bullpen. Everybody’s got to hold up their end of it, and our guys did [Tuesday].”
This was no recent phenomenon, though. Fantastic relief work has been critical to the Nationals during this run of success: nine wins in 10 games entering Wednesday night. During this stretch, the bullpen has amassed a combined 0.88 ERA, allowing only three earned runs
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres