Jun 22, 2011, 5:09 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Wilson Ramos leaps into a sea of teammates at the plate.
The ball connected off Wilson Ramos’ bat with such force, nobody inside Nationals Park — not Ramos, not his teammates, not the crowd of 21,502, not the Mariners — had any doubt where it was headed.
“I didn’t even look to see where it went,” Jayson Werth said. “You hear that noise and see the trajectory, and you know right away.”
Ramos certainly knew. Immediately upon crushing David Pauley’s 84-mph change-up Tuesday night, the rookie catcher thrust his right arm into the air and admired his handiwork.
“I know that ball was in the stands,” he said.
Actually, it was beyond the stands. Ramos’ three-run homer finally crashed back to earth next to a picnic table in front of the Red Porch restaurant beyond the left-center field fence, some 425 feet from the batter’s box. A titanic blast to cap a titanic comeback: a five-run rally
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season