Jun 22, 2011, 5:09 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Wilson Ramos leaps into a sea of teammates at the plate.
The ball connected off Wilson Ramos’ bat with such force, nobody inside Nationals Park — not Ramos, not his teammates, not the crowd of 21,502, not the Mariners — had any doubt where it was headed.
“I didn’t even look to see where it went,” Jayson Werth said. “You hear that noise and see the trajectory, and you know right away.”
Ramos certainly knew. Immediately upon crushing David Pauley’s 84-mph change-up Tuesday night, the rookie catcher thrust his right arm into the air and admired his handiwork.
“I know that ball was in the stands,” he said.
Actually, it was beyond the stands. Ramos’ three-run homer finally crashed back to earth next to a picnic table in front of the Red Porch restaurant beyond the left-center field fence, some 425 feet from the batter’s box. A titanic blast to cap a titanic comeback: a five-run rally
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher