Jun 23, 2011, 4:21 AM EDT
Associated press photo
John Lannan was effective yet again, earning his fifth win of the season.
Ryan Zimmerman and John Lannan have been members of the Nationals organization for six years now, both having been among the club’s first draft class in 2005. Neither has ever experienced team success, unless you want to count Zimmerman’s minimal participation during the Nats’ September 2005 collapse.
So what they were feeling late Wednesday night in the wake of a 2-1 victory over the Mariners was foreign to them. For the first time, they are part of a ballclub that has reached the .500 mark following the summer solstice.
No one inside the Nationals clubhouse was entirely sure what to make of this accomplishment. A .500 record certainly isn’t something to be satisfied with, yet it also signals an important milestone in this franchise’s development.
After endless talk over the years about building a competitive team, they finally boast the record to back it up.
“It’s a good place to be right now,” said Lannan, who continued his recent run of success to earn the victory Wednesday. “I mean, I’ve never been on a team that’s this far into the season and been .500. I
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured