Jun 23, 2011, 4:21 AM EDT
Associated press photo
John Lannan was effective yet again, earning his fifth win of the season.
Ryan Zimmerman and John Lannan have been members of the Nationals organization for six years now, both having been among the club’s first draft class in 2005. Neither has ever experienced team success, unless you want to count Zimmerman’s minimal participation during the Nats’ September 2005 collapse.
So what they were feeling late Wednesday night in the wake of a 2-1 victory over the Mariners was foreign to them. For the first time, they are part of a ballclub that has reached the .500 mark following the summer solstice.
No one inside the Nationals clubhouse was entirely sure what to make of this accomplishment. A .500 record certainly isn’t something to be satisfied with, yet it also signals an important milestone in this franchise’s development.
After endless talk over the years about building a competitive team, they finally boast the record to back it up.
“It’s a good place to be right now,” said Lannan, who continued his recent run of success to earn the victory Wednesday. “I mean, I’ve never been on a team that’s this far into the season and been .500. I
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?