Jun 23, 2011, 2:55 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats have a chance this afternoon to finish their homestand 8-1.
They've won 10 of 11. They've already swept one series on this homestand, with a chance to sweep another. They've reached the elusive .500 mark, with a chance to surpass it this afternoon. This is indeed a good time to be a National, or a baseball fan in Washington, enjoying the best run this team has gone on in six years.
For it to continue today, though, the Nats will need to cobble together some offense against a really tough rookie in Seattle's Michael Pineda. For the first time in two weeks, Jayson Werth won't be hitting leadoff; he's been bumped down to the 2-hole, with Roger Bernadina at the top of Jim Riggleman's lineup. Jason Marquis remains the No. 8 hitter, however, and will be in search today of his team-leading eighth victory.
It's a hot, muggy day in the District, with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. If you're heading out to the ballpark, be sure to drink plenty of water. If you're stuck in the office, keep yourself tuned right here for updates throughout the game…
MARINERS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C.)
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 186
Weather: Chance of storms, 91 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to CF
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI
- Taking a crack at the Nats' Opening Day roster
- 3-time All-Star retires day after getting cut by Nats
- Braves, Marlins miss out on Cuban star Hector Olivera