Jun 23, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
Bryce Harper and Brad Peacock have been selected to represent the Nationals in the All-Star Futures Game, a showcase of the sport's top prospects.
This is merely the latest accolade for Harper, 18, who has already played in the Arizona Fall League and the South Atlantic League All-Star Game. The right fielder will be stacked up against some of the minor leagues' other premier talents, all of them with a considerable age and experience advantage.
Harper enters the second half of the season at low-Class A Hagerstown hitting .330 with 14 homers, 45 RBI and a 1.014 OPS that ranks third in the Sally League.
He's not, however, the youngest player ever selected for the Futures Game. Eight other 18-year-olds have participated in previous games (including Francisco Liriano and Felix Hernandez) and three 17-year-olds have played (Jose Tabata, Angel Villalona and WilmerRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies