Jun 23, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
Bryce Harper and Brad Peacock have been selected to represent the Nationals in the All-Star Futures Game, a showcase of the sport's top prospects.
This is merely the latest accolade for Harper, 18, who has already played in the Arizona Fall League and the South Atlantic League All-Star Game. The right fielder will be stacked up against some of the minor leagues' other premier talents, all of them with a considerable age and experience advantage.
Harper enters the second half of the season at low-Class A Hagerstown hitting .330 with 14 homers, 45 RBI and a 1.014 OPS that ranks third in the Sally League.
He's not, however, the youngest player ever selected for the Futures Game. Eight other 18-year-olds have participated in previous games (including Francisco Liriano and Felix Hernandez) and three 17-year-olds have played (Jose Tabata, Angel Villalona and WilmerRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?