Jun 23, 2011, 9:01 PM EST
Citing an unwillingness by general manager Mike Rizzo to discuss an extension of his contract, Jim Riggleman abruptly resigned as manager of the Washington Nationals following today’s 1-0 victory over the Seattle Mariners.
Riggleman, who had guided the Nationals to 11 wins in their last 12 games to improve to 38-37, informed Rizzo before the game he would resign unless the GM would agree to have a discussion about his long-term status. Rizzo declined, saying it “wasn’t the right time” for that, so Riggleman managed the series finale against the Mariners knowing it would be his final game.
Players, jubilant from the walk-off win, quickly turned silent in the clubhouse at Nationals Park as Rizzo informed them of the news.
“It was an extremely festive locker room,” Rizzo said during a hastily organized news conference. “We brought the team together, and it became somber quickly.”
No replacement was immediately named, but Rizzo said a new manager would be in place in time for Friday night’s game against the White Sox in Chicago.
Please leave your comments below.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign Uggla to minor-league deal
- Significant moment No. 6: Nats win 10 in a row
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins