Game 76: Nats at White Sox

Jun 24, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
U.S. Cellular Field hosts the Nationals tonight.

CHICAGO — And now, back to baseball. As it were.

John McLaren is managing the Nationals tonight, and probably will be managing for a couple of days until Mike Rizzo names his permanent interim manger. The coaching staff remains intact, with Trent Jewett (who has traveled with the club all season as an extra coach) essentially taking over as bench coach for the moment.

McLaren's first lineup bears some similarities to the ones Jim Riggleman wrote out over the last week. Jayson Werth leads off. Since this is an interleague game in an AL park, the pitcher isn't batting, so we don't know if he would continue to hit the pitcher eighth. Laynce Nix will DH tonight, though, with Jerry Hairston in left field.

Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound for the Nationals, looking to continue his hot streak and the team's hot streak. A win tonight would be the Nats' 12th in their last 13 games. Right-hander Edwin Jackson (whose name came up in trade discussions last summer) starts for the White Sox. Slumping Adam Dunn is batting sixth.

Plenty of updates to come, and catch me live on Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m. Eastern…

NATIONALS at WHITE SOX
Where: U.S. Cellular Field
Gametime: 8:10 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 180
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
RF Jayson Werth
CF Roger Bernadina
DH Laynce Nix

1. Bowdenball - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM

"DH Laynce Nix""(P Jordan Zimmermann)"Gross. I feel dirty watching this brand of "baseball."

2. A DC Wonk - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Gross. I feel dirty watching this brand of "baseball."Me, too. I can't believe that this mickey-mouse rule still exists.Many years ago I once heard somebody say:The National League — where "DH" stands for double-header!

3. Grandstander - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I wonder why he thinks Hairston is a defensive upgrade over Nix in LF. Hairston has had several bad routes to balls out there including his total whiff in Citifield. Nix has played pretty well out there including his full extension superman catch. I'd like to hear the reasoning for that. Maybe Stairs would have his feelings hurt if Hairston was DHing over him?

4. TimDz - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110624&content_id=20934652&vkey=pr_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=wasThis was posted about 3 PM on the Nats website. Does this mean McLaren is the manager for the rest of the season? I read it that way.Mark? Any definitive word on this? (I posted this on your last blog entry by mistake…)

5. HHover - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Grandstander – Nix tweaked his achilles tendon and they probably don't want to risk further damage in the OF.

6. HHover - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM

TimDz This is just semantics–unlike the eloquent Debbi Taylor, they didn't want to use the label "interim interim manager."

7. Anonymous - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Apparently Grandstander is too busy posting negative comments about players to keep up with what's happening on the field. Nix has been out of the lineup with a sore achilles. Good idea to have him DH and let Hairston run around the outfield.

8. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

TimDZ…. I just checked and the 4PM post says that he's the skipper through Sunday.

9. FS - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Listening to Mark Zuckerman at 980 AM.

10. Grandstander - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

HHover – thanks, totally forgot about his achilles strain.Anon – I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

11. FS - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Not sure this Zab guy makes any sense.

12. erocks33 - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Ahhh — Monty Python quotes. I've always been partial to this one …"What a silly (b)unt."

13. Steve M. - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Hi y'all, I just arrived in Chicago for the weekend series. It is cold and dark here kind of like my heart is. I am really upset about Riggleman walking out on NatsTown. Something he will regret in his older years. I was a Riggleman supporter and lost so much respect I had for him. I am now curious to see if a new "manager" clamps down on this senior citizen problem in the dugout like Stairs so I can at least see if it was Riggleman or Rizzo.Well, what's done is done so off to watch early BP.

14. Slidell - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Now that Mr. Stairs is no longer the default DH/PH, is there anyone in the system, or on the fringes, available as an upgrade replacement?

15. Nats Outsider - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

If I were Rizzo, I think I would want to start the new manager (the non-interim interim manager, that is) after the All Star break. That would give him a few days to settle in, discuss strategies, etc. So I think we will have McClaren until then.Just one man's cloudy crystal ball . . .

16. Nats Outsider - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM

@ Steve M– We may have a clue about the status of the "senior citizen problem." Playing in the American League park would have been a perfect time to put Stairs in the lineup, if McClaren were inclined to give points for his maturity and stabilizing influence. The fact that he is not the DH may say that we have turned that corner.

17. Catcher50 - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Just my 2c, but if it was Rizzo driving anything on the field, he would make sure that Stairs was DH. If he did anything this weekend, he might become very attractive for an AL team with any sort of distant shot at the post season, looking for a DH and who did not want to give up what the Os are going to ask for Vlad.

18. Another_Sam - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM

What time does the McLaren bashing begin?

19. natsfan1a - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM

SteveM, thanks for representing us in Chicago.

20. Slidell - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Another Sam: I expect about 8:15.

21. silverSpring8 - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Technical question: Does anyone else here have trouble posting comments from Firefox on a Mac? I've tried enabling popups and Remote XUL but I have to swtich from Firefox to Safari to post a comment.

22. swang - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Woah! CMW to start rehab! Just think, Znn, CMW, Marquis, and Livo. We can make the playoffs! Don't even need to wait until next year!Koolaid for sale!

23. Bill B - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM

24. Bill B - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Interesting thread about Stairs. I think those of you above who suspect that he's on his way out are right. After all, Stairs is a lefty. One of Riggleman's faults was excessive loyalty to guys who aren't performing (Morgan last year, Ankiel and Stairs this year).

25. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM

swang…. I saw Wang pitch 3 weeks ago. Dont get your hopes up.

26. Anonymous - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

silverSpring8- I've been having the same problem. I think that if you get rid of all of your security and accept third-party cookies, it might work if you sign in with the "anonymous" profile and just sign your post at the bottom.I hope that now that the guy who makes $20000 per at-bat has gotten the "change" that he wanted, he'll start to match his hitting up with his ego.AD

27. JaneB - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM

BillB…I think some of the tea leaf readers believe it was RIZZO who was the Stairs guy, not Riggleman.GYFNG!!!

28. Anonymous - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Kind of tired of hearing both of the "gentlemen" involved comparing @#$%^ size on national tv. Nobody really won, ok? Interesting take by the mlb guys that the next manager will want more control and won't take kindly to Rizzo calling the shots. Maybe someday we will find out who was Stairs' guardian angel. Will he retire at the all star break?

29. Unkyd - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Anybody catch Riggs "mild rebuke" to Boswell, on Sirius radio, today? I'm done posting on that subject, but it's easy enough to google, and quite interesting…

30. Grandstander - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM

MLB guys said Davey Johnson would want more control. I don't think someone like Randy Knorr would demand more control. During that MLB Network interview Rizzo also mentioned how the veteran presence on the roster would guide the team, "…players like Jayson Werth, Matt Stairs, Ryan Zimmerman…". I think that answers the question, unfortunately for us.

31. The Answer - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Matt Stairs for player-manager!

32. SonnyG10 - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I want to support Rizzo, but if he's going to insist on having Stairs around, that is not a plus in his favor as far as I'm concerned.

33. wally - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Unkyd – I read it. Another surprising moment from Charlie Riggleman.I tried explaining some of this to my wife, and her reaction was : 'sounds like he is having a mid life crisis'

34. Unkyd - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Wally… Sounds to me like it's the first time he's unclenched his teeth, in a couple years…

35. Cwj - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Ok I've put the whole Riggs thing behind me and am now ready to focus on the team.(I was furious at first, thinking this may affect the team's performance).Ok NOW I'm done :)Anyone feel another sweep coming? I do.Go JZimm!Go Nats!

36. natsfan1a - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:59 PM

That's interesting, Wally, because I made a similar comment to my husband. Not that I have a clue what's really going on with the man, because I don't.On a larger scale (and since some have referenced Sheen), I find it a sad commentary on our society that 24-7 Internet/legacy media coverage now chronicles a person's self-destructive behavior and that at least some of their audience seems to relish it (I don't suppose they would cover it to that extent if there wasn't a market for it).

37. natsfan1a - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM

cwj, yes, since you asked, I am feeling a little winnish tonight.

38. SonnyG10 - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Alright Nats, I hope you brought your broom to Chicago. Lets keep it going.GYFNG!!!!

39. Unkyd - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Winnerish? Hackerish? Yeah, Baby….YEAH!!!!!

40. Wally - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM

natsfan1a – well said (from someone who made that reference). I hope that one of his friends pulls him aside and helps, if that is what is needed. I don't feel any anger or disappointment in what he did any longer, I just feel bad for him. OK, I'll stop and move on, like most of you have. Let's make Jackson throw strikes, and keep Adam in a slump until we leave town. Pitch around Konerko. Go Nats (and JZimm!).

41. JaneB - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Not to mention hitterish.GYFNG!

42. Neal - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM

In case anyone hasn't heard it, as of right now, Davey Johnson is the leading candidate to assume the Manager's position from Monday through the rest of the season.

43. natsfan1a - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Winnerish, hackerish, and hitterish.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2HBdRCroks

44. JaneB - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Fun, natsfan1a.

45. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I'd like to see JZimm attack that bottom of the strike zone. Looks like anything above the ankles is a strike.

46. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM

What the F______ is wrong with Jayson Werth – it's one thing that he's not hitting, but now he is making fielding errors? The first manager candidate that can light a fire under him gets the job!

47. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM

If anyone could come up to Jayson Werth and get on him it's Davey Johnson. He won't take that bare-handed, showoff BS from anyone.

48. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM

JZimm hung tough there, although he got lucky that Konerko's rocket was right at Zim.Werth, yeah, I still think that he comes on strong but he has looked sloppy lately.

49. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Nats don't seem like they can reach anything on the outside corner.Rizzo on MASN next. Maybe he'll announce Davey.

50. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Did Rizzo just say "you need to give fans the downlow?"

51. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM

We have the sox broadcast crew in Fl, so let us know what he says.

52. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Grandstander – I didn't catch it. Mostly just rehashing stuff from other sources. We have a plan, rely on veteran players, yadda yaddaJZimm needs to start throwing the two seamer and get the ball down. Couple bloop hits but he doesn't look sharp.

53. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Rizzo's not saying much specific. Says the search will start "in-house."

54. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Dj – kind of implied Davey will take over. 'We will stay inhouse. We have a guy who was Manager of the Year in the organization…'

55. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Rizzo did refer to how they had a manager of the year in tbe family, and that's Davey. I'll need some help seeing that as a good move. But if we keep winning, I won't care who the manager is. Meantime, I love how Hairston keeps getting things going.

56. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:49 AM

That sure is a low strike zone. Jordan needs to get them down.

57. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:50 AM

FP: "I should have asked him if the new manager's name rhymed with Mavey Lohnson". Kind of funny.JaneB – why don't you like him? Too long out of the game? His record is pretty good. I remember him from the Mets and Orioles, and thought he was good.

58. skidge - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM

@Grandstander, Rizzo definitely did say "downlow"…

59. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Shaggy needs to grow his beard back. This look isn't working.

60. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Thanks folksDavey is my first choice as I said on the other post.The only thing I seen from our veteran leadership tonight is plenty of use of the F word so far.Mark- the shots they are showing do not include an upbeat Nats bench. What is the mood behind the curtain ?

61. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Wow. Is Werth even looking to swing the bat? He's looking like a green rookie out there.

62. The Great Unwashed - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM

"I find it a sad commentary on our society that 24-7 Internet/legacy media coverage now chronicles a person's self-destructive behavior and that at least some of their audience seems to relish it."1a, it's called schadenfreude. The Germans invented it. We've perfected it.

63. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:58 AM

JZimm looks pretty frustrated with himself out there. Ramos should go talk to him.

64. MicheleS - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:58 AM

JaneB, 1a, Wally, NatsJackPlease keep the updates coming! I have limited service where I am at and I don’t have the ability to see or hear the game. Or get any real need!Thanks!

65. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I keenly remember him from the Mets. They won the Serious (as we call it in our house) and then he watched as the club house got way out of control. Times were different then, but my memory is of a guy who was not a mature leader, and given to a mercurial temper. I remember a STH telling me he drank with the guys and got in bar fights. It's been 20+ years so maybe I am remembering wrong. I hope so. Because it sure sounds like he is The Guy.In other news, what is the deal with Werth? What will it take to get him going?

66. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM

The new guy better not touch Bo. I love him, and I love Eck. Eck had the intell that helped Ramos get that monster hit. Bo has made them more aggressive on the bases.

67. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM

MicheleS – no score through 3. Nats not doing much on offense, ump calling real low strike zone. Zim particularly irritated first time up. jZimm doesn't look sharp to me, although that is more about where his pitches are going than how he has been hit. Lots of baserunners but only a few hard hit balls, and one of those smoked right to Zim for an out.JaneB – yeah, I do remember that post-series clubnouse chaos. Pretty crazy group tho – Gooden, Straw, Mitchell, Dykstra, etc. I didn't hear about drinking with the players, but he certainly was brash. I think that I read somewhere that something like 11 out of 15 of his teams finished first or second.

68. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I guess Werth is holding out for more money. Apparently he's not going to swing the bat until Rizzo renews it. What a pile of crap this guy is. 2 K'S AND AN ERROR!! Go back to Philly you bum!!

69. The Great Unwashed - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Listening to Rizzo, he stammered a lot and didn't sound that articulate. Down-low. Give me a break. I'm sure he's got a lot of baseball smarts but geez, he didn't sound like it. I think both sides lost in the Riggs sweepstakes.Speaking of losing, it's rumored that Werth didn't like Riggleman. Maybe he had merit for his dislike, but when you're batting .235 and making silly fielding errors, you don't have room to talk in my opinion. Apparently when you make $126 million you're less accountable than everyone else. Here's to hoping the new manager doesn't put up with that nonsense.Has anyone else noticed that the team is back to their error-filled ways? Not a good recipe for winning I'm afraid.

70. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:12 AM

This is a last place team. They had a epiphany for 2 weeks. It's over now. gonna lose 8 of 10

71. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:13 AM

First and third for Nats (2 outs). 10 game hitting streak fo Danny. Ramos Ks.Btw, Pierzinski has thrown out 12% of baserunners.Btw (2) – we are closer to second place than last.

72. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Great Unwashed – phil Wood kind of dissed Werth yesterday for that. Said in Philly that he didn't think Manuel was a good manager, then ditto for Milt Thompson (hitting coach), then said he thought Milt's replacement was worse than Milt. It was kind of funny.My take – he'll be fine. Not the personality type to be the center of attention. Contract won't change that, and really, who cares. We got him, and I just want him to play well. I think he will.Dunn with 2 Ks. What was the over/under?

73. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:19 AM

That's right, Wally. And Unwashed, we were just talking about the jump in errors. Seems tk me Werrth and Zimm have a good chunk of them, between them.But we are still fielding the same guys we believed In earlier this week (I typed "last week" and realized it only FEELS like last week). They can beat Edwin.

74. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM

No score though 4. JZimm close to 60 pitches

75. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Did anyone get out to the park last week early enough to see if they are still doing extra fielding drills everyday? Maybe it was put on hold after their errorless play, and needs to be cranked up again.

76. The Great Unwashed - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Good stuff, Wally. I want Werth to play well too but so far he hasn't. Did I mentioned he takes too many called third strikes? But, I digress…I heard something about Phil Wood's comments but I didn't see it. Is it posted on line?And kudos to Hairston. All of a sudden he's gotten hot at the plate. Somebody has to.

77. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Hairston singles, and tries to steal 2b. AJ P pitches out, and still can't get him (something like 10-60). Desi sacrifices him to third. One out, Werth up, grounds to SS, Hairston at out plate.Great U – don't know, heard him on Masn live as it was happening.

78. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Jason Worthless!

79. The Great Unwashed - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM

10 for his last 61. Way to go, Werth.

80. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Great U….look above at Wally's description of Phil'sxooments.Poor Jordan, we keep NOT bringing the runner home.

81. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Should have pinch hit for Werthless with Matt Stairs. HAHAHA We suck and are boring again.

82. The Great Unwashed - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Thanks, JaneB. I read Wally's recap but I just wanted to hear it for myself.

83. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM

No score thru 5. Good inning for JZ. Maybe he found his command.

84. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Espn just posted that davey has job this year and next year as well

85. Cwj - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:44 AM

I can't wait til Davey Johnson is named manager.I was ten when he managed the Mets, so can't comment on that.But I followed the Orioles when he was manager and really liked him. Unlike Riggleman, Johnson knows how to smile :)He also rubbed Peter Angelos the wrong way, which is a good thing! :) and he has a .560+ career winning percentage.Come on Nats, let's score some runs tonight.Go Nats!

86. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Rizzo spinnning on Chisox tv.Giving his version, truth be damned.Pick up my option now or I walk, out of the blue.

87. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Ladson tweets that it's Davey. Says he has "confirmed" it.

88. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Holy Shat!!! Bernie robs Dunn of a homer, reaching over the fence.Awesome.

89. Steady Eddie - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

SHARK ATTACK!!Bernie strikes!

90. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Michelle! Roger just STOLE a homer from Dunn. AWESOME,

91. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

So what do we think about Roger in CF now? He robs a dinger at the fence.

92. phil dunn - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Johnson is a good choice. He's not managing for $600,000 per year.

93. Cwj - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Dave- I like Bernie in center

94. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM

OH YES ROGER!!!Rizzo is the man. He's built a roster and farm system from nothing. Don't let a manager with a .440 win percentage call the shots.

95. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:01 AM

@DaveWe CAN'T abandon Ankiel. We MUST find a way to get him in the lineup. Oh wait, we don't anymore! We CAN abandon Ankiel!

96. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Dave, I like Bernie in CF too. I just hope Davey does.

97. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Love ya Werth, but if you don't swing at those hangers I'm coming through the TV at you.

98. MicheleS - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Thanks everyone!! I love the Shark attack updates!!

99. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Will you look at that press box shot? They're out in the cheap seats!

100. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Annon- everyone agrees Rizzo can build an organization thru his scouting ability. What he cannot due is staff the big league team with a player that always stands a chance to succeed. We have been a man shy all season by carrying his DHer that can not even DH. That is one of a number of slots poorly filled for mthe first half. Davey will not tolerate it. Way to go Bernie.

101. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM

It was an awesome catch, but I think that he is just ok, not great, in CF. And I know some of you will yell at me for that.JZ starting to get hit harder, might need to go get him soon.

102. phil dunn - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Bernie in CF and The Beast at 1B. Goodbye Ankiel and Laroche.

103. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Tense right here. First and second, two outs. Huge K of Beckham right there

104. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Way to go JZ and Morse! No score thru 7. I think that's it for him.

105. Steady Eddie - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM

MORSE THE HORSE!Ride 'em, Nats!

106. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:19 AM

The Flying Dutchman comes through again!

107. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:21 AM

New post re: Davey. He's the man, according to Mark Z.

108. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Konerko made a great play to save a run. Bernie on third, two outs and Brian Bruney v. Morse.

109. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Incoming…Brian Bruney!! This guy is still alive? Oh, come on, Beast. Light this tool up.

110. Unkyd - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM

(gorse, gorse,gorse……..)

111. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Morse!!!!! 2 run homer

112. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Activating Beast Mode …

113. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Michelle, Morse two run homer.this game is OURS

114. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Brian Bruney has not lost a thing.WAY TO GO, BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hacking the gorse on the south side!

115. Unkyd - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM

HACK HACK!!!!

116. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Morse hacks the gorse. Two-run shot. Ah yes, I remember Brian Bruney. Seem to recall that he, too, didn't like his deal with the Nats.

117. Drew8 - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Hey Davey: We call that GORSE HACKAGE!!!!!

118. Harper is Awesome - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Anyone want a hot plate of hacked gorse?Beastmode! Happy about Johnson willbe managing for the remainder of the season. Gosh these guys are awesome! Whatelse can you say except GYFNG!

119. MicheleS - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM

GORSE!!!!

120. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM

HRod in for JZ.JZ has a 2.85 ERA now. You can make a decent case that the Nats deserve more than 1 allstar this year. Morse, JZ, Espy and Storen can each make a decent case.

121. waddu eye no - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM

bruney finally does us some good.

122. Alan_A - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM

@JaneB -You're remembering Davey right from his Mets days. But I get the impression he's grown and softened a bit since then. Time and some hardship will do that. But I guess we'll see.

123. Harper is Awesome - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:34 AM

@Wally: No Clippard hes been electric all year long?

124. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:34 AM

In terms of turning a page from the past, we could do a lot worse than a resurgent Morse homering off The Ghost of Bullpen's Past.

125. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Ramirez just swung at a 55 foot pitch for strike three. HRod has sick, sick stuff.Awesome play by Desi and Morse, umps may overturn it

126. Harper is Awesome - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Mclaren hell yeah this is awesome folks. Mclaren can stay hes awesome!!

127. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Harper – yeah, I forgot Clip too.Umps overturned the play. Bedlam right now. Mac tossed.

128. Cwj - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Henry Rodriguez has nasty stuff!Oh my god McLaren is tossed! This is nuts!Home plate umpire over-ruled first base ump's 3rd out call!The Nats and McLaren went ballistic!

129. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

McLaren furious at the absolutely hideous display of umpire-fail. Mac is tossed, natch. So's Hairston. Insane.

130. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Well, Boz was hoping for Earl Weaver. McLaren's a pretty good facsimile. And his rage is righteous.

131. Unkyd - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

10:34….. Rather poetic, no?

132. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:40 AM

My take is that Konerko was safe, but I can't believe the home plate ump overruled without being asked.So who is managing the game now? Jewett? Burnett in for HRod – I would not make this move. Dunn can't catch to HRod's heat

133. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:41 AM

I love John McLaren. I hate that home plate umpire. We have to get guy fined and we have to win this game, incredible,GYFNGGGGGGGGGG!

134. TimDz - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:41 AM

That was a nuts and bolts call…We got screwed…

135. CBinDC - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:42 AM

AS IF THIS WEEK CAN NOT GET ANY STRANGERThat was the worst display of umpiring this year !!!!!!!!!

136. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Seriously, this is complete BS. We're in Joe West Bizarro Ego territory here. I guess this is why I'm not a major league manager. If I'm there, Henry Rodriguez throws a 101 mph fastball and Wilson Ramos makes no effort to catch it…

137. sm13 - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:43 AM

McClaren just out-Ozzied Ozzie!! Well done!

138. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:45 AM

lol how many more jabs do you think Bob is gonna get in about that call!?Way to get fire uped Bob!

139. Cwj - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:45 AM

All for not :) Burnett gets Dunn to ground out.Nat's up 2-0 heading to top of 9th.

140. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:45 AM

At least we have Bob Carpenter!

141. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM

What is the recourse for something like that? I mean, is every call up for committee now or something? How does the organization go up against this?

142. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM

They gave Desi an error on that play. Bad scoring, imo. That was a bullet, he knocked it down and threw a little wide. If he held it, it definitely is a hit. Shouldn't penalize him for trying to make the play.Dunn grounds out. Carp is as hot about that ump call as I have seen him, ever. FP finally goes 'its irrelevant, we got the out'. Good stuff.

143. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM

yanno, this could work out fine. Get the team behind McLaren a little more, piss them off– a little chip on the shoulder never hurt anyone, and nevermind the distractions of yesterday.

144. CBinDC - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Really that was the most animated a manager display since Frank Robinson …….Riggleman would get upset but noting like that …I did not need the sound to know what he was saying and it was exactly what I was saying loud enough to be heard in Chicago

145. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM

CBinDC, that's the quote of the week.

146. Drew8 - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Attaboy John McLaren!Attaboy Sean Burnett!P.S. VDOT reports there's an Adam bomb on the interstate. Dunn has caught LaRoche at .172

147. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Is it me, or is Ramos is standing way, way too far off the plate lately. Can't reach anything on the outside corner.

148. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:50 AM

I've never heard so much outrage from Carpenter in five years of MASN broadcasts. FP had to talk him down so they could go to commercial. Go Bob!

149. Nats Outsider - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Has there EVER been a manager who failed to finish even a single game? I think this must be an all-time first. Anyone here know for sure?

150. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Btw, what was Hairston doing from LEFT FIELD, getting thrown out on that play? Did anyone see that? I missed it.Desi RBI single to left. Bruney : the gift that keeps giving.

151. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:53 AM

And if this ends up being McLaren's only official game as manager, I will forever hold the fond memory of that wonderful display of standing up for his team. Thank you, Mac!

152. dj in fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Glad to see the high fives in the dugout.I agree sec 3, a chip on the shoulder is just what is needed right now, espcially while on the road.

153. Tim - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:55 AM

"… Interim, interim, interim…" Now that is funny, Mark.Out of town, can't see the game but listening to Charlie & Dave and just saw the Morse HR in Gameday highlights. Wow! Is Morse fired up or what!?! He's played a heckava game, all the way around.

154. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Outsider, that's pretty funny. Do you suppose Davey Johnson should pay his fine?

155. CBinDC - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:57 AM

I am glad Werth got a hit now if we just repeat like that …ohh and JaneB Thankz :)

156. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:00 AM

At least they took the error away from Desi. C'mon Drew!

157. Tim - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Wally… From what I gather from the radio broadcast, the Nats were all in the dugout as the inning ended… The umpires confered… Reversed the call… Everyone goes ballistic and Mac and Jerry get tossed. Livo threw his hat on the field and could've easily been tossed, too.

158. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:01 AM

That would make Jewett the antepeninterim manager.How's *that* for language growth??!!

159. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:02 AM

or is that preantepeninterim?No.

160. Harper is Awesome - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:03 AM

uh oh! come on now Drew. Its never easy for the Nats

161. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:05 AM

3 run homer. Shat, shat, shat

162. Harper is Awesome - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Man this is a major buzzkill. :(

163. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Crap. Storen gives up a 3-run shot. Sox tie the game in the bottom of the ninth

164. CBinDC - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:07 AM

OHHH what a week ?????!!!!!!!

165. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:07 AM

We can still win.

166. Big Oil - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:07 AM

dag ON IT

167. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:08 AM

I hope your right JaneB.. but this one is not going in the win column

168. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:09 AM

They have to use Clippard next inning. Where is he?..

169. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:10 AM

OK! Free baseball! Let's go get 'em!

170. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:10 AM

I don't mean to jump on him, but something isn't right with Storen. He has been consistently bad lately. It's either mental or physical, but something is making him lay a lot of balls high over the plate.HRod coming into the 9th would've been a win.

171. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I can't believe how deflated I am right now. Hopefully our boys can handle this better than me.

172. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:13 AM

HRod = Burnett

173. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Before that inning Storen had given up 1 run in his last 10 innings with 8 saves so not sure what you mean Grandstander. Does it seem like Zimm is standing way off the plate now? JT

174. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Zim looks bad at the plate.

175. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:16 AM

BEAST MODE for Nix!!!

176. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Yes! This is the most emotional and fired up I've been watching a ballgame in ages. What a rollercoaster!

177. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Nix!!!!!! Homerun, Nats up 1. Morse hbp.I need a drink

178. Dave - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Laynce Nix saves the day with a solo shot. FP: "Can't sneak cheese past a rat!"WTF, FP?!?

179. Drew8 - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:17 AM

NIX GOES GORSE!!!!!!!I hope it's not past Davey's bedtime. He's missing a heckuva show.(We kid because we love.)

180. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Wilson! MAKE THEM PAY FOR PLUNKING MORSE!Anon at 11:08, watch us win.

181. Harper is Awesome - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Holy crap! This is awesome had to turn it off for a second cuz it was starting to get to my head. This is what its all about! Coffey pitches the 9th?

182. Big Oil - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Nix!!!

183. NatsNut - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:19 AM

JaneB, I'm with you. I LOVE Bo Porter. Also, this was hilarious:"…if Trent Jewett gets ejected from this game, I'm told Speaker of the House John Boehner is next in the managerial line of succession."

184. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:19 AM

JaneB i am truly sorry!

185. Wally - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Ramos – get closer to the plate!Weird play. Ramos to pitcher, tries for two. Espy is safe, but they get Ramos at first. Morse stays at third.Second and third, two outs for Bixler. Please get a hit!

186. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Mark has been hilarious tonite.I wanna see Clip after the commercial.

187. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Someone 'splain me why it's Todd and not Tyler?!?

188. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM

JaneB,We are under new, new, management.That is my best guess.

189. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:30 AM

GIDP please, AJ.

190. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:32 AM

This is a LOT more fun that it used to be!

191. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:34 AM

I don't think my heart can take this.

192. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:35 AM

OK, except for that part…

193. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:40 AM

all the more for the rest of us, nonna…

194. Drew8 - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:40 AM

OK. Whose turn to homer?

195. JaneB - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:41 AM

My heart, too, Anon. Okay. Next inning we get a dinger and Tyler finishes it off.

196. dj in Fl. - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:41 AM

I do not think I have ever been so happy to play 11.That was to close.I'm with JaneB, where the heck is Clip

197. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Does anyone else's chest hurt? This game is taking years off my life.

198. Sec3MySofa - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Jane, they're just spreadin' the gorse around.

199. Anonymous - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:44 AM

Reminds me of any 9th inning the Chief was pitching lol

200. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:45 AM

MLB is reporting Davey Johnson gets a contract through 2013.