Jun 24, 2011, 11:58 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson last managed in the majors in 2000.
Updated at 10:08 p.m.
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson, who guided the Mets to a World Series title 25 years ago and won AL Manager of the Year honors a decade later with the Orioles, will take over as manager of the Nationals for the remainder of the season.
The Nationals haven’t officially finalized the deal yet, but a club source confirmed Johnson’s pending hire by general manager Mike Rizzo, barely 24 hours after Jim Riggleman abruptly resigned following a 1-0 victory in Washington.
It wasn’t immediately clear when Johnson, 68, will start, but he’s expected to be in the dugout no later than Monday, when the Nationals open a three-game series in Anaheim.
John McLaren managed the club Friday night against the White Sox, uncertain how long he would hold that position but knowing his tenure
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue