Jun 24, 2011, 11:58 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson last managed in the majors in 2000.
Updated at 10:08 p.m.
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson, who guided the Mets to a World Series title 25 years ago and won AL Manager of the Year honors a decade later with the Orioles, will take over as manager of the Nationals for the remainder of the season.
The Nationals haven’t officially finalized the deal yet, but a club source confirmed Johnson’s pending hire by general manager Mike Rizzo, barely 24 hours after Jim Riggleman abruptly resigned following a 1-0 victory in Washington.
It wasn’t immediately clear when Johnson, 68, will start, but he’s expected to be in the dugout no later than Monday, when the Nationals open a three-game series in Anaheim.
John McLaren managed the club Friday night against the White Sox, uncertain how long he would hold that position but knowing his tenure
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East