Jun 24, 2011, 12:14 AM EDT
A club source said McLaren will serve as "short-term" manager for the immediate future until an interim skipper can be named for the remainder of the season.
McLaren, 59, has managerial experience, ironically taking over on an interim basis in Seattle in 2007 when Mike Hargrove abruptly resigned in midseason with the Mariners on a seven-game winning streak. He went 43-41 the rest of that season and was retained for 2008, only to be fired after 72 games and replaced by Riggleman, who was serving as his bench coach at the time.
McLaren's temporary promotion is likely a product more of convenience and stability than anything. He's been with the club the last two seasons, knows the personnel and had filled in for oneRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Nats hope to reverse fortunes vs. D'backs
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East
- Nats lose to Arizona, fall out of first place
- Strasburg strong in 2nd rehab start, next stop D.C.?
- Papelbon offers advice on pennant race pressure