Jun 25, 2011, 7:00 AM EST
Associated Press photo
John McLaren was ejected following an overturned call in the eighth inning.
CHICAGO — They’d seen their manager quit in a huff moments after winning a game in dramatic fashion. They’d seen their interim manager get ejected, leaving a consortium of coaches to run the show for another six innings. They’d heard rumors about their next manager, who has the job but won’t officially take over quite yet.
They’d seen their bullpen blow not one, not two, but three save opportunities in the span of four innings. They’d seen star players go hitless in seven plate appearances, unheralded role players out-hustle everyone else on the field and a center fielder stone-cold rob an ex-teammate of a home run. They’d experienced enough twists and turns and drama normally reserved for a full season squeezed into 36 hours of pure insanity.
And at the end of all that, what did the Washington Nationals do? The same thing they’ve been doing for the last two weeks.
They won the ballgame.
“That’s as much intensity as I’ve seen in the game in 24 years,” John McLaren said after a 9-5, 14-inning, 4-hour and 58-minute victory over the Chicago White Sox. “It was incredible, the passion they had
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond