Jun 25, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John McLaren was ejected following an overturned call in the eighth inning.
CHICAGO — They’d seen their manager quit in a huff moments after winning a game in dramatic fashion. They’d seen their interim manager get ejected, leaving a consortium of coaches to run the show for another six innings. They’d heard rumors about their next manager, who has the job but won’t officially take over quite yet.
They’d seen their bullpen blow not one, not two, but three save opportunities in the span of four innings. They’d seen star players go hitless in seven plate appearances, unheralded role players out-hustle everyone else on the field and a center fielder stone-cold rob an ex-teammate of a home run. They’d experienced enough twists and turns and drama normally reserved for a full season squeezed into 36 hours of pure insanity.
And at the end of all that, what did the Washington Nationals do? The same thing they’ve been doing for the last two weeks.
They won the ballgame.
“That’s as much intensity as I’ve seen in the game in 24 years,” John McLaren said after a 9-5, 14-inning, 4-hour and 58-minute victory over the Chicago White Sox. “It was incredible, the passion they had
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win