Jun 26, 2011, 1:21 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ivan Rodriguez is too late to tag Mark Teahen at the plate in the eighth inning.
CHICAGO — Having exhausted every last ounce of energy and emotion they had in them Friday night to beat the White Sox in 14 innings and overcome the previous day’s resignation of their manager, the Nationals were right back at U.S. Cellular Field this afternoon trying to maintain that high-energy level.
Easier said than done. John McLaren, serving as interim manager for the weekend until Davey Johnson takes over Monday night in Anaheim, tried to give his players a break and let them report to the ballpark late and bypass batting practice.
Then the Nationals slogged their way through a 3-0 loss to the White Sox that bore little resemblance to the 12 games they had won in the previous two weeks.
Was it tough to bring the same level of energy to the ballpark less than 12 hours after leaving it after the most-emotional win of the season?
“The answer’s yes. Let’s be honest about it,” McLaren said. “We wanted to win. We tried to do something different by not hitting today
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic