Jun 26, 2011, 1:21 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ivan Rodriguez is too late to tag Mark Teahen at the plate in the eighth inning.
CHICAGO — Having exhausted every last ounce of energy and emotion they had in them Friday night to beat the White Sox in 14 innings and overcome the previous day’s resignation of their manager, the Nationals were right back at U.S. Cellular Field this afternoon trying to maintain that high-energy level.
Easier said than done. John McLaren, serving as interim manager for the weekend until Davey Johnson takes over Monday night in Anaheim, tried to give his players a break and let them report to the ballpark late and bypass batting practice.
Then the Nationals slogged their way through a 3-0 loss to the White Sox that bore little resemblance to the 12 games they had won in the previous two weeks.
Was it tough to bring the same level of energy to the ballpark less than 12 hours after leaving it after the most-emotional win of the season?
“The answer’s yes. Let’s be honest about it,” McLaren said. “We wanted to win. We tried to do something different by not hitting today
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship