Jun 26, 2011, 12:36 AM EDT
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson will join the Nationals Sunday, fly with the team to Anaheim and make his managerial debut Monday night against the Angels, general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed following today’s 3-0 loss to the White Sox.
The Nationals still haven’t officially announced Johnson’s hiring due to “a few technical things to figure out still,” according to Rizzo, but the club is already making plans to transition the 68-year-old into the manager’s office, a move that will produce more change to the coaching staff.
John McLaren, who is serving as interim manager during this weekend’s series at U.S. Cellular Field, will not remain on the coaching staff beginning Monday. He’ll be re-assigned within the organization, a joint decision between himself and Rizzo.
“John and I had a long discussion,” Rizzo said. “We’re going to reassign him to a position to assist me in scouting and other duties, in a non-uniform capacity. … I think he had an allegiance to Jim Riggleman and had some thoughts about really wanting to get out of
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss
- Intentional or not, Harper leads MLB in walks
- Nationals open long road trip in Miami
- MLB Power Rankings: Mets, Padres surprising early
- 'Baseball in the District' - Tom Schad of the Washington Times
- What have we learned about the Nats so far?
- Scherzer jams thumb in another solid outing despite Nats' loss
- Zimmerman dealing with plantar fasciitis
- Cardinals 4, Nats 1: Scherzer good, Wacha better