Jun 26, 2011, 12:36 AM EDT
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson will join the Nationals Sunday, fly with the team to Anaheim and make his managerial debut Monday night against the Angels, general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed following today’s 3-0 loss to the White Sox.
The Nationals still haven’t officially announced Johnson’s hiring due to “a few technical things to figure out still,” according to Rizzo, but the club is already making plans to transition the 68-year-old into the manager’s office, a move that will produce more change to the coaching staff.
John McLaren, who is serving as interim manager during this weekend’s series at U.S. Cellular Field, will not remain on the coaching staff beginning Monday. He’ll be re-assigned within the organization, a joint decision between himself and Rizzo.
“John and I had a long discussion,” Rizzo said. “We’re going to reassign him to a position to assist me in scouting and other duties, in a non-uniform capacity. … I think he had an allegiance to Jim Riggleman and had some thoughts about really wanting to get out of
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense