Jun 26, 2011, 12:36 AM EST
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson will join the Nationals Sunday, fly with the team to Anaheim and make his managerial debut Monday night against the Angels, general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed following today’s 3-0 loss to the White Sox.
The Nationals still haven’t officially announced Johnson’s hiring due to “a few technical things to figure out still,” according to Rizzo, but the club is already making plans to transition the 68-year-old into the manager’s office, a move that will produce more change to the coaching staff.
John McLaren, who is serving as interim manager during this weekend’s series at U.S. Cellular Field, will not remain on the coaching staff beginning Monday. He’ll be re-assigned within the organization, a joint decision between himself and Rizzo.
“John and I had a long discussion,” Rizzo said. “We’re going to reassign him to a position to assist me in scouting and other duties, in a non-uniform capacity. … I think he had an allegiance to Jim Riggleman and had some thoughts about really wanting to get out of
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator