Jun 26, 2011, 12:36 AM EST
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson will join the Nationals Sunday, fly with the team to Anaheim and make his managerial debut Monday night against the Angels, general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed following today’s 3-0 loss to the White Sox.
The Nationals still haven’t officially announced Johnson’s hiring due to “a few technical things to figure out still,” according to Rizzo, but the club is already making plans to transition the 68-year-old into the manager’s office, a move that will produce more change to the coaching staff.
John McLaren, who is serving as interim manager during this weekend’s series at U.S. Cellular Field, will not remain on the coaching staff beginning Monday. He’ll be re-assigned within the organization, a joint decision between himself and Rizzo.
“John and I had a long discussion,” Rizzo said. “We’re going to reassign him to a position to assist me in scouting and other duties, in a non-uniform capacity. … I think he had an allegiance to Jim Riggleman and had some thoughts about really wanting to get out of
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats