Jun 26, 2011, 12:36 AM EDT
CHICAGO — Davey Johnson will join the Nationals Sunday, fly with the team to Anaheim and make his managerial debut Monday night against the Angels, general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed following today’s 3-0 loss to the White Sox.
The Nationals still haven’t officially announced Johnson’s hiring due to “a few technical things to figure out still,” according to Rizzo, but the club is already making plans to transition the 68-year-old into the manager’s office, a move that will produce more change to the coaching staff.
John McLaren, who is serving as interim manager during this weekend’s series at U.S. Cellular Field, will not remain on the coaching staff beginning Monday. He’ll be re-assigned within the organization, a joint decision between himself and Rizzo.
“John and I had a long discussion,” Rizzo said. “We’re going to reassign him to a position to assist me in scouting and other duties, in a non-uniform capacity. … I think he had an allegiance to Jim Riggleman and had some thoughts about really wanting to get out of
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?