Jun 26, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to win their fifth straight series this afternoon.
CHICAGO — A weekend of transition for the Nationals comes to an end today. Davey Johnson will be in the building, but not in the dugout. John McLaren will manage, then leave his position on the coaching staff for a non-uniformed scouting job within the organization. A new bench coach will be named.
McLaren's third and final Nationals lineup has Jayson Werth (hitting .171 with a .316 slugging percentage this month) in the 2-hole, behind Roger Bernadina. Ryan Zimmerman returns to play third base after serving as DH yesterday. Laynce Nix is today's DH. Ian Desmond gets a day off, with Alex Cora filling in at shortstop. Matt Stairs (who has yet to appear in this series) remains on the bench.
Livan Hernandez starts for the Nats. He labored through his last start but at the time insisted an easy mechanical fix — he was trying to throw his sinker from too much over the top — should get things back on track. We'll see.
Game updates to come here, and any other news (including the expected official Davey announcement) can of course be found on the homepage…
NATIONALS at WHITE SOX
Where: U.S. Cellular Field
Gametime: 2:10 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 180
Weather: Partly cloudy, 72 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from LF
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game
- Harper, Escobar, Span all out of Nats lineup again