Game 79: Nats at Angels

Jun 27, 2011, 9:46 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Davey Johnson makes his return to managing tonight at Angel Stadium.

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Hello from sunny Southern California, where tonight Davey Johnson manages his first big-league game in 11 years, having taken over the reins of the Nationals for the remainder of this season (and possibly beyond).

Johnson's first lineup looks a lot like those John McLaren wrote out over the weekend in Chicago. Roger Bernadina leads off. Jayson Werth bats second. Laynce Nix is batting cleanup, though he's in left field. Matt Stairs does make his first appearance in a long time, serving as DH.

One thing to remember: Drew Storen is not with the club tonight. He was in Indiana for his grandmother's funeral. He's expected to rejoin the team in time for tomorrow's game. We'll have to see who would get the call in the ninth inning if the Nats hold a tight lead.

Plenty of updates to come, including highlights from Davey's first press conference. Also, catch me live from the ballpark on CSN at 6 p.m…

NATIONALS at ANGELS
Where: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Gametime: 10:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 182
Weather: Sunny, 75 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix

1. MIcheleS - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Wow.. Stairs is in the game! And batting 8th!

2. Anonymous (who else?) - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM

How can he bat Stairs 8th? Johnson has to be fired!

3. erocks33 - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Who thinks the Nats might actually do better if the pitcher batted 8th tonight instead of Stairs?? Just kidding, of course. Let's hope LannEn has another good outing and that the bullpen can get a little more rest (preferably without the need for us to worry about who's going to close the game).

4. Take The Elevator - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Matt Stairs does make his first appearance in a long time, serving as DH________________________________UGH, how I wish this guy would make his ultimatum and resign like Riggleman and just go take an elevator out of the park today.It would be funny though if he did something today that meant something towards a WIN.

5. Nats Outsider - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Here's a cheer for CSN, for sending the best baseball writer in DC to cover the Nats-Angels game. Thanks CSN, and I will be looking forward to the in-game updates!

6. Grandstander - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Stairs has a good record against this guy. I actually like him batting 8th here too. Think of Riggs batting the pitcher 8th, Stairs is like our pitcher, except he just doesn't bat as well. That allows Desmond to hit before our high OBP guys Bernadina and (hopefully a no longer slumping) Werth. I think Davey will give Stairs three days at DH to prove he deserves a spot on this team and will convince Rizzo to release him if he doesn't.Hey, a guy can dream…

7. Bill B - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Zim-Nix-Morse-Danny-Ramos-Stairs-Desi: R-L-R-S-R-L-R. There's your explanation. And I suppose Johnson wants to give Sairs a chance before cutting him.

8. J. - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I like the option of giving Stairs some ABs. If you're going to have him on your roster you should really use him, and it's hardly fair to cut a guy when he hasn't been playing.

9. SilverSpring8 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM

BillB, I had the same thought. Could this series be Stairs' swan song with Da Nats?

10. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Stairs actually has hit well against tonight's and tomorrow night's pitchers.

11. Doc - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Congrats on your trip out west Mark. We don't have as much fun without you. Hope they give you a free media pass to Dizzy Land.

12. Gonat - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Stairs has more at-bats then some of the pitchers who have out-performed him.He has done nothing to tell me he deserves a spot in front of a guy like Bixler or one of the 'hot hitting' Minor Leaguers.

13. Grandstander - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I'm not kidding about Stairs either…Matt Stairs – 5 for 43, 0 RBIJason Marquis – 8 for 35, 3 RBIJordan Zimmermann – 4 for 25, 3 RBILivan Hernandez – 4 for 25, 4 RBI

14. Anonymous8 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Let's see Lannan hasn't gotten any hits this year but at least he can bunt. I prefer Lannan to Stairs but I really would have liked to see LH Marquis to Stairs.

15. Gonat - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Grandstander, I was getting ready to give Jason Marquis stats.I bet Marquis would do well as the DH.

16. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I've wondered why they don't pinch-hit or DH Marquis more, since he loves to hit. I thought maybe it was because they don't want a pitcher injured on the basepaths, but they are forever letting Marquis pinch-run, and he gets his uniform dirty sliding, so, any thoughts on why they don't use him more?

17. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM

P.S., why is it so hard to post on this blog?

18. Anonymous8 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Grandstander, thanks. There you go NO RBIS for Stairs. Looks like Jason Marquis would be more productive and there is a guy who only bats 1 game every 5 days.I am sick of people whining about how MLB veterans need lots of at-bats to be effective. True for some but a guy who is put on the roster to be ONLY a PINCH HITTER should be very well prepared for his high paying job. Such a waste of a roster spot.

19. Not Werth It - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Here's hoping that in the death rattle of his amazing career Matt Stairs can come up with a couple big hits tonight. A red hot LannEn against a bunch of guys that have never seen his stuff before? Yes please.

20. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM

MLB is showing DJ chatting with Werth.. Start using that great mind of yours to get him out of that FUNK!!!

21. oldguyjim - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Using starting pitchers as a DH is playing with fire. One bad slide and they may be on the DL. Go with Stairs since that is his job. If he doesn't do his job Davey will take care of it. I like the lineup. Should have some pop is Werth and Zim can start to hit. Big if!!

22. Grandstander - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM

wRC+ is probably one of my favorite statistics for measuring offensive value. It stands for Weighted Runs Created, adjusted for park/league averages. It's easier than it sounds. Without getting too bogged down in the different stats, it's a way of taking all of a guys offensive production stats (doubles, walks, ks, steals, everything).What you need to know about this stat is that 100 is league average. Each point above or below 100 can be thought of as a percentage point. So Michael Morse at 143, is 43% better than league average. And this is all adjusted for the park they play in and so forth. Very fair stat and highly useful. Here's today's lineup with their wRC+:Bernadina – 115Werth – 107Zimmerman – 86Nix – 124Morse – 143Espinosa – 120Ramos – 94Stairs – 14Desmond – 67And because I know you're all wondering, Marquis' wRC+ is 28. Jerry Hairston, who should be playing LF with Nix DHing (or vice versa) is 91.Here's the kicker.Only 6 players have had a lower wRC+ all season (min 50 PA). All 6 were DFA'd and are no longer on the roster.

23. Stranded_in_Philly - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM

24. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM

No, when Stairs gets on base, Marquis comes in to pinch run for him. :)

25. Anonymous - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Quit knocking Matty Stairs. He has as much change of getting a hit as Jason Werthless does.

26. MIcheleS - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Grandstander…Are you related to Boz? All those stats reminds me of him! And it's a compliment

27. Grandstander - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Thank you. Nope, not related to Boz, just a firm believer that some statistics are better than others. Watching the press conference, who was that jerk who stepped on Mark's question to ask about Mike Scioscia? Get those LA beat guys outta there!

28. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:19 PM

PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!

29. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Anybody need a glass of the Koolaid? Well Belly up to the bar, because Davey is now serving! I hope the guys were listening…they need that confidence in them!

30. Slidell - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM

For those interested, Wang looking okay at Hagerstown. Two scratch hits in 2 innings, Hagerstown up 3-1. According to Suns' announcer, Wang "throwing nice and easy".

31. Joe Seamhead - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Stairs? What a hoot! And if he gets a game winning hit? (drum roll here). We'll be riding a stairway to heaven.Sorry. So, with the Dodgers in such bad straights, is there still any room left for a stadium in Brooklyn? Whadda coup that would be for NY, eh?

32. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:36 PM

"Playoffs, Did you say Playoffs?" Playoffs got to love Jim Mora.

33. Get Some Players - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Why is Harper not playing again?

34. natsfan1a - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Let's go, LannEn, Nats, and Davey!!Also third the thanks to CSN for sending Mark to cover this and the Chicago series. How awesome is is to have him on a multi-managerial regime road trip? :-)

35. Slidell - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Less-than-stellar fielding leads to a triple and double and Wang gives up run number 2 in the 3rd.Don't know why Harper isn't playing; hope it means he is on the way to Potomac. I have tickets for the Potomac visit to Frederick next week.

36. Waddu eye no - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Do three games make a regime?

37. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Nothing Stairs can do now can make up for his appalling showing so far this year. It's time for him to go. (Actually, it was time over a month ago.) I sure hope that Davey Johnson recognizes that. But he has to, right? He's a genius, one of the all time best managers, etc. etc.

38. JaneB - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I know, natsfan1a (and others who commented on Mark being there). Iy makes a huge difference to have mark with the team, instead of at home. Especially now. And especially after the All Star break, when we start seeing teams make moves. Basically, he should be covering every game no matter where it is. There isn't anyone covering this team better.Go LannEn. GYFNG!

39. Slidell - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Wang is done for the night after 3. Two runs on four hits, zero walks and three strikeouts."Throwing without pain" according to the announcer.

40. SonnyG10 - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I hope Davey wasn't one of the people that wanted Stairs on the team. If so, hope he realizes what a mistake that has been.

41. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM

@Slidell.. any comment on why Harper isn't playing?

42. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Slidell…. Wangs been throwing without pain for several months now. And by "nice and easy" I think they mean 85 – 87 MPH which is nowhere near what he used to throw.It sounded like his sinker was working though. I won't give up yet but I don't have alot of hope.On the other hand, I loved Davey's presser.

43. Slidell - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:31 AM

MicheleS: Haven't heard anything. Maybe he's still resting his injured thumb.

44. TimDz - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Couple of thoughts…some random…some…not so much:NatsLady…I'll take the posting process here over NJ's clunkiness and "fecal matter" any day..Re: Stairs…It's my hope that he will, in this series, pull a Crash DaviS…hit that one last dinger and hang'em up.I have lost any faith at all in CW Wang making it to Nats Park (and there wasn't much to begin with). I think the closest we'll get to a Wang sighting will be if someone goes into 1970's Ray Stevens mode (bonus points to whoever gets the reference without doing a google search).I watched some of the baseball games on ESPN and I really don't like the strike zone box that they keep up during the at bat. I much prefer the pitch trak that shows some of the more debatable calls.

45. Alan_A - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Not sure why the MASN guys were complaining about Davey's lack of energy. What I saw was that the lights were on and the wheels are turning. Quick answers, no hesitation. And reminded me of the way he carried himself in NY. What were they expecting? Cheerleading? Fireworks? "Passion"? Me, I'll take what he gave us.

46. Unkyd - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Tim…. DONT LOOK ETHEL!!!!!

47. TimDz - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM

+1 to Unkyd…

48. John O'Connor - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM

The Streak.

49. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Mark has really been bringing it this weekend…Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that MLB has suspended John McLaren one game and fined him for his altercation with the umps Friday night in Chicago. Uh, how exactly do you enforce that punishment? Sorry, Mac: You can't watch tonight's game on TV from your living room sofa, only from a skybox above your house? LMAO

50. Unkyd - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Buditwuz too late……

51. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Gotta go home, hopefully get home in time to watch the whole game. LOVE these West Coast trips!!! Later, folks.

52. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Did anyone see Kilgore's post on the plane ride.. very insightful on what is going on behind the scenes…

53. Unkyd - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Somebody needs to go upside my haid!! All of a sudden I'm having thoughts of championships… What are we, like, 14 of the last 16, or something? Talent stacked up down on the farm, like jets waiting to land at Reagan…. Jeezus, Prince Oppo Boppo…. Rendon…. Peacock, Milone, Robbie Ray…. GET THAT KOOL AID AWAY FROM ME!!!!! MY MOM TOLD ME ABOUT YOU PEOPLE…… YOU'LL JUST PULL THAT FOOTBALL AWAY AT THE LAST MINNIT… AND I'LL FALL ON THE BACK OF MY HAID!!!!

54. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM

My first post on this site, just have to finally say something after being a loyal reader since its inception. Thank you Mark, you're the best… but wanna say hope that Stairsy does OK tonite… I don't mind watching the old guy get few last chances.

55. Unkyd - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM

um…. go you freakin' nats guys……gogogo….

56. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Heck, yeah. The man himself called it an era. ;-)Waddu eye no said… Do three games make a regime? June 27, 2011 8:00 PM

57. DannyEllinosa - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:27 AM

GYFNG

58. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM

I, for one, would like to give props where they are due. Mr. Zuckerman, in a game thread I can't recall at the moment, correctly predicted that Pat Corrales would be Davey's bench coach. Well done, sir. I hope you put money on that with some of the other writers.Kilgore transcribed it for me so I didn't have to, but one thing Davey said really brought a smile to my face.I definitely think this club has been an underachiever offensively. I don’t like to give up outs. I’ll bunt when I have to. I’ll hit and run when I feel like it. I think this club hasn’t quite come into it’s own. It doesn’t really know how good an offensive club it can be. It definitely has a chance to be a good one.”YES!!! Finally someone who gets it!All this Riggleman "smart ball" nonsense has been giving me fits. If you play for one run, you may or may not get it, but you won't get any more than one. There's so much power on this team, it's insane how we've been giving away outs. You only get 27. Look up and down that lineup, every single guy has homerun power. We've got the pitching, we've got the defense, time for some 3-run homers. Espinosa knows what I'm talking about, amirite?

59. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Grandstander..AMEN… in the words of Coach Herm Edwards… YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

60. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Unkyd: calm down, dude. This is a .500 team, at best. And baseball is a game of averages and the averages have played out – the Nats are a tad over .500.But that's it for now. Don't get so excited about a 42-40 team. School's been out just a week and already your crazy.

61. Unkyd - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Knew I could count on you, 9:37…. ;)

62. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Oh the West Coast Gorse is hip….

63. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Still taking a wait and see attitude. Kind of finding the drooling over Davey Johnson to be a bit premature. First Matt Stairs in the line-up , now Pat Corrales as bench coach – blech.Not impressed. Motivate Jayson Werth and then we'll see.

64. SonnyG10 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Time to rumble!!! GYFNG!!!

65. Unkyd - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I really dig those thorns they wear….

66. Waddu eye no - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:05 AM

This is our first series w angels since the Soscia vs. Robinson bout?One of my favorite NATS memories.

67. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Sounds like we're facing another cy young-like pitcher tonight. Has a manager ever been no-hit in his debut? GYFNG! One inning for me and since we never hit until at least the seventh, I will be asleep. My goal for the Nats – score a run before the sixth inning in the near future.

68. RickH - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Where else do you get Beach Boys AND Ray Stevens allusions in the same thread! GYFNG!!!

69. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

GORSE!!!

70. DannyEllinosa - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-R-S-E!

71. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

72. TimDz - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Gorse Power!!!!GYFNG!!!!!

73. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Michael Morse HACKS THE GORSE!!!!!GYFNG!!!

74. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Come on, Stairs, prove us all wrong and Davey right… oh wait, another strikeout… that's what I thought.

75. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Let's try not to mention how that inning just ended. We all knew it would happen as soon as he walked to the plate.

76. sjm308 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:38 AM

People, we are two games OVER .500 and all you want to do is crush Matt Stairs, give me a break. Lets see if we can just play 500 ball until the All-Star break and then go from there. If we end up at 2 games over 500 then we finish 83 – 79 and how good would that be!!! Finish this road trip 3-3, go 5-4 at home and now we are 3 games over .500!! Just take things one day at a time and it will all workout. Has everyone forgotten what we have gone through the last few years. We are playing great ball, we have improved our defense, and pitching, we have signed a big time player who other teams coveted, our minor league teams are all improved and yet most of what I read is negative or coulda shoulda. GYFNG!!!

77. nationals7 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Matt Stairs. The new Adam Dunn.

78. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Beast mode, right on cue as per my request – a run in the early innings. Now I can go to sleep.Thanks, MM!

79. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Love how Boras is chatting on the phone watching all of his team/clients and trying to figure out how he can get MOrse as a client

80. Joe Sommer - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Beast mode?Why not just say "bestial" and be done with it.

81. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:47 AM

82. nationals7 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Oh, wait… Jayson Werth. The new Adam Dunn.

83. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:48 AM

From Bob Carpenter: Jayson Werth looks at another strikeout. He is 11 for his last 74.

84. JaneB - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Werth 11 for 74. There is no way he doesn't care this is going on. He is a pro. He hates it. I feel bad for him. And I hope Morse never signs with Boras. Spread the wealth a little.GYFNG!

85. TimDz - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Jayson….SWING THE FREAKIN' BAT…(i'm just sayin'…)

86. Big Oil - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Grandstander -Thanks for the wRC+ stat earlier. That and wOBA are my offensive go-to's; you must frequent Fangraphs as well. I too enjoyed the no-giving-up-outs comment by DJ.FWIW, Livo has an FIP around 3.6. Sure, it is a depressed run environment, but that is l-e-g-i-t.

87. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Rumor is that one of the reasons Stairs has stuck on the roster for so long is that he's tight with Werth from their days in Philly. Maybe if Stairs is finally cut, Werth will start hitting…

88. sjm308 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Natsjack – if Wang can't get it over 90mph is he done? read a little on Nat's Prospects and although he gave up 2 runs in 3 innings he did get 6 groundouts and was in no pain. If nothing else, he does know how to win and this probably is it for him. Not sure who he would replace but I am guessing that when Zimmnn reaches his inning count he might be someone (along with Detwiller) that we look at.Lannan just threw an 8 pitch inning as we go into the 4thGYFNG

89. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Please move Werth down the lineup it hasn't worked for 79 games

90. Andrew - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Nice Zim!!!!

91. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Davey is working magic on RZim… 2 for 2 and a HR!

92. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Zim joins the party!Girardi is hearing Davey's footsteps….(.564 to .565)

93. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Yeah, I check out Fangraphs. They definitely won me over with wOBA, wRC+ and wRAA. I'm a believer.Santana has been throwing lots of first pitch strikes, nice to see the Nats jumping on those instead of letting them float by like a couple players on this team.

94. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Anonymous said… Morse and Espinosa: All Star Game 2011. Expect it. Or at least, that's how it should be. Name a 2nd baseman in the NL who's better than Danny, and he's just a rookie! June 27, 2011 10:47 PM __________________________________Sorry to disagree but Morse is either the 3rd or 4th best 1st baseman depending on how you want to pick 'em1. Fielder2. Votto3. Sanchez4. MorseDanny Espinosa is the 3rd best 2nd baseman although maybe you can argue he is better than Phillips. That BA and OBP loom large usually.1. Weeks2. Phillips3. EspinosaStill, very impressive to see 2 Nats infielders amongst the league's best and not named Ryan Zimmerman!

95. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Umm.. ground balls please….

96. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:10 AM

If you throw out the idiotic and antiquated BA stat, he's a clear-cut AS. I really wish the league would start moving away from it, but it seems stuck with us. Curse you Henry Chadwick!

97. Calm in Cali - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Yikes! What was with that throw from Nix?

98. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Laynce Nix with a John Wall throw to home. UGLY

99. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Jayson Werth with a nice play at 3rd. Did you see Scott Boras all happy behind home plate. LOL Count that money Bora$

100. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Leading off: speedy Matt Stairs

101. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Laynce might have killed six worms with one throw.

102. nationals7 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Is Matt Stairs making more $$ than Riggleman did?

103. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Great throw by Jason to end the 4th.

104. Anonymous8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:17 AM

How bad is this Matt Stares guy. That is twice he walked rapidly from the batters box before the ump even signaled strike 3. What a gentleman!

105. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:18 AM

CMW is making more money than Riggleman did.

106. MikeD - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Goodbye Matt

107. SonnyG10 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Atta boy, Jayson. At least you swung the bat.

108. JaneB - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Section 222, I said that yesterday. I think you move out Stairs and Werth gets well. I really do,

109. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Ramos with that bazooka!!!!!!!

110. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:27 AM

11:21 p.m. — For some reason, the Racing Presidents are here. I have no idea why. And the best gag they could come up with was Teddy riding around the warning track on a bicycle. So this act is officially lame on two coasts of the country now. _____________________________________Now that is funny but I am sure the 5 year olds liked it even though they have no clue what they are watching.

111. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:33 AM

Sorry @JaneB. It was unintentional plagiarism. I think we all know that Werth will turn things around, and we know that Stairs won't.

112. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM

I'll say this, Lannan clearly doesn't have his stuff tonight, but he's somehow avoided giving it all away. The leadoff man has reached every inning but one and he's allowed 7 hits and 2 walks in 5 innings but only gave up 2 runs. You get the feeling if he can just push us through the 6th we can get this.

113. TimDz - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Pretty much have the same thought, Grandstander… As he just gave up a lead off single, I don't think he is a long for this game…

114. JaneB - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:45 AM

No, SEction 222! I was thinking, "great minds think alike!" I think they are both trying to bring some Phillies juice into our clubhouse. They are looking back at when things were" good"…instead of being Nationals, and being in THIS MOMENT. When Stairs moves on, Werth can become a Real Nat, instead of living in the in between. He won't have anyone tugging him into the past.Does it sound to you all like those Angels fans are screaming when nothing is going on? The evil small part of me hopes they are doing the wave. :-)

115. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:45 AM

What a double play to save Lannan's butt!

116. FS - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:47 AM

Loved the 11:21 update. Nats need to get going at the plate and Lannan needs to stop bleeding.

117. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Well, the double play just saved a bigger inning as I thought John would get out of it. Lannan just didn't have it tonight. A shame.

118. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Was it my imagination, or was Davey Johnson walking up to get Lannan when Jewitt called him back. After that there was 3 straight hits to give the Angels the lead.Now, Davey isn't going to say that was the case, but I swear the camera cut to him walking up the steps when Jewitt called him back and I thought I saw him point to home plate and say but we've got righties coming up.Really want to see that again.

119. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Laynce Nix makes Johnny Damon look like Roberto Clemente.

120. dj in Fl. - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM

@GrandstanderI saw that also, actually called to my wife "here comes Davey". Jewitt did point to the on deck or their bench and said something, and Davey came back down the steps.

121. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:01 AM

Grandstander: I had the same thought. Davey was going to make the move and then he waited one batter too long.BTW, as we search in vain for a leadoff hitter, that smoke on the horizon is coming from Syracuse, where Steve Lombardozzi is on fire.Since his promotion to Syracuse he is 15 for 34. He is batting .441 with a .457 on base percentage.

122. Sec3MySofa - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM

too early to run for Stairs, I suppose?

123. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Grandstander, he talked with McCatty who seemed to tell him something. Davey definitely rocked on the step.

124. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM

@JaneB – From your lips to DJ's ears. @Grandstander — I rewound and had a look. That was McCatty pulling DJ back, if that what he did. I'm not a lip reader, but didn't see any indication they were talking about RH batters.

125. Sec3MySofa - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:03 AM

nevermind.

126. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Sec3MySofa said… too early to run for Stairs, I suppose? June 28, 2011 12:02 AM ________________________________I thought the same thing. Oh well.

127. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:04 AM

little surprised johnson left lannan and no pinch runner for stairs.

128. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Why do you not PR for Stairs? He's the go-ahead run with 1 out in the 7th. Ultimately, it didn't matter, but I'm just not sure why you don't throw Bixler or Hairston in there at that point.

129. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:08 AM

But if you pinch run for Stairs, you lose his bat for the next time around the order…. oh wait. Hahahaha.

130. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Glad we're all on top of our games at this late hour. Thanks for the clarification!

131. hotrod - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Davey's made 2 mistakes so far tonight.Not having a hot Hairston in left field(he throws that runner out easy) with Nix dhing and Leaving Lannan in to pitch to those 2 rh batters at the bottom of the lineup.

132. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM

maybe johnson is doing the gentleman thing and letting Stairs play his last game all the way

133. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:14 AM

HotRod – I have to agree with you on both but probably didn't want to go to the bullpen so early with Storen out. It didn't work out. It happens.On Nix, I'm just not feeling it. He has cooled down from that hot streak and his fielding and arm just aren't good. He takes a looping path to balls sometimes instead of aggressively going straight to them allowing them to fall in front of him.Probably was thinking Nix over Hairston for the RH/LH matchup.

134. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:18 AM

At least he went and got Mattheus right there. That 3-2 pitch was pathetic. I'd like to see how HRod bounces back from a less than stellar outing last time.

135. dj in Fl. - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:21 AM

136. Anonymous8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:23 AM

dj in Fl. said… I was thinking Nix leg must not be 100%. He has always fielded much better than tonight. June 28, 2011 12:21 AMThen it is a big mistake by Davey to put him in there.

137. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM

That McCatty callback is now looming large. What a shame that we probably had this game if Davey trusts his instincts. Methinks the Cat will be in the doghouse for awhile after that.

138. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Stranded_in_Philly said… Everyone beat me to it. I'd rather Marquis DH than Stairs. And I don't mean that pejoratively. I think at this point in their careers, Marquis is the better hitter. And can lay a bunt down.Also, once Stairs DOES get on base (by a walk, I'm sure, if at all), he doesn't exactly do a whole lot of moving around out there. June 27, 2011 6:55 PM ___________________________________Well, you called it early.

139. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Don't think; it can only hurt the ball club.

140. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Nix, Morse and Espinosa are the 3 guys I want coming up in this situation.

141. Andrew - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:42 AM

WOW, Espinosa….are you kidding me!!!! That is unreal.

142. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:42 AM

D.F.E.!GYFNG!!!!!!!!!!

143. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:42 AM

144. SilverSpring8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Superman wears Danny Espinosa underwear.

145. JaneB - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:44 AM

Danny! I love love love this game and this team!

146. dj in Fl. - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Anonymous said… Yeah Morse!! Now it looks like Danny is due for a HR, considering he and Michael are always tied! June 27, 2011 10:30 PM Excellent call, just under the wire.Way to go Danny!!!!!

147. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Drew8, I thought Danny's middle initial was R. for Richard….D.R.E.! as in Dr. DRE

148. FS - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:46 AM

LOL you guys are funny.Someone did mention that Danny was due for one tonight because Morse homered earlier.

149. TimDz - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Thanks Mike for pulling Santana…You and Eric Wedge have the same scouting crew?

150. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Gonat – I believe Drew8 was conferring upon Danny the same middle name Red Sox fans confer upon Bucky Dent. Just in a more positive light.

151. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Ok, another game of "did you catch"Did you catch Stairs looking back at Davey with a face that screamed, "do you really want me to go back out there to leadoff the inning?"

152. natteringnabob - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:52 AM

come on Stairs… do something

153. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:53 AM

D. Johnson sure loves to live on the edge he's perfect for this team

154. natteringnabob - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:53 AM

oh here comes the lefty

155. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:53 AM

HA! Bring in the Lefty? THANKS Scioscia! You just took our worst player out of the game.

156. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Love Bixler. Who called him over the weekend the X Factor. So true.

157. Cwj - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Is H-Rodriguez fun to watch or what?He can miss the plate by as much as 6 feet at times, but even the other day when he got hit, they were bloops and seeing-eye singles.Come on Nats!Win one for the night owls!

158. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Farfegnugen.Driving pleasure.

159. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Jayson Werth is soooo due.

160. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:01 AM

Well, we turned the lineup over and got past that huge 8-2 hole. Zim, Nix, Morse, Espy coming up if we can make it through the 10th.

161. Anonymous8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:01 AM

Note to Jayson Werth: You have to swing at those pitches….

162. Exposremains - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:01 AM

so due to K looking, wow its frustrating. 3 times he finished an inning tonight

163. Anonymous - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Fahrvergnügen

164. Gonat - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Oh well, good night NatsTown.

165. Grandstander - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM

We were playing with House money this game the way our pitching was going. Tough loss, but 16 hits in one game? I just wish McCatty didn't call off DJ pulling Lannan.

166. SonnyG10 - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Oh well, good game anyway. We can still win the series.

167. Drew8 - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM

Here's job one for Davey: Find some way, somehow, to get baserunners at the top of the lineup for the beastly bats that stalk the infield.Bringing up Lombo is unlikely because it would disrupt the greatly improved defense in the middle of the diamond. Gotta believe Rizzo will pull the trigger on a deal for a center fielder.

168. JaneB - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:53 AM

I think the TV guys were right about maybe sitting Werth. He knows he's not doing the job. But they were in it to the last. Tomorrow is another day. Well, on the west coast, at least. Had fun reading you all tonight!

169. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM

First order of business for Johnson will be to get Werth to an eye doctor. He swings at ones not in the zone, and lets ones in the zone go by. If the doctor says nothing wrong his vision, it is time to bench him as his mind is not in the game. I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt up to now, but no longer, this has to stop.You would think one would feel guilty for taking money like he has and produced so little in return. Humor nature is that way.

170. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM

At least Dunn swings at most of his strike out. You have at least a chance to get a hit. I bet over half of Werth strike outs are called.