Jun 27, 2011, 12:02 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John McLaren gets a hug from Danny Espinosa following his farewell victory.
CHICAGO — John McLaren stood in the bowels of U.S. Cellular Field, eyes welling as he tried to put into words what he had experienced over the last 72 hours.
“I feel bad about the situation, but the John McLaren era is over in Washington,” he said, before adding: “Is three games an era?”
Well, probably not. Though given all that happened during those 72 hours, it certainly felt like an era. Handed the reins of the hottest team in baseball after his close friend and colleague Jim Riggleman resigned in a huff, McLaren was asked to keep the Nationals together for the weekend until Davey Johnson could come on board.
He did more than keep them together. He kept them winning. Sunday’s 2-1 triumph gave the Nationals their fifth consecutive series victory, their 13th win in 15 games.
The fact the entire clubhouse gave McLaren a standing ovation before taking the field spoke volumes about the respect they had for a man
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 1st place Nationals try to take another in Cincinnati
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game