Jun 27, 2011, 12:02 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John McLaren gets a hug from Danny Espinosa following his farewell victory.
CHICAGO — John McLaren stood in the bowels of U.S. Cellular Field, eyes welling as he tried to put into words what he had experienced over the last 72 hours.
“I feel bad about the situation, but the John McLaren era is over in Washington,” he said, before adding: “Is three games an era?”
Well, probably not. Though given all that happened during those 72 hours, it certainly felt like an era. Handed the reins of the hottest team in baseball after his close friend and colleague Jim Riggleman resigned in a huff, McLaren was asked to keep the Nationals together for the weekend until Davey Johnson could come on board.
He did more than keep them together. He kept them winning. Sunday’s 2-1 triumph gave the Nationals their fifth consecutive series victory, their 13th win in 15 games.
The fact the entire clubhouse gave McLaren a standing ovation before taking the field spoke volumes about the respect they had for a man
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard