Jun 28, 2011, 7:11 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson walks off the mound following a pitching change.
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Davey Johnson hadn’t stood there, in a major-league dugout, wearing a big-league uniform, in 11 years. He wasn’t the same man leaning on a railing at Angel Stadium Monday night as he was doing the same thing up the road at Dodger Stadium more than a decade ago. And the game, much as he doesn’t want to admit it, isn’t the same either.
But there was something comforting about the sight of the Nationals’ new, 68-year-old skipper running the show, high-fiving players, dodging foul balls, making the slow walk to the mound to change pitchers.
Even if the end result — a 4-3, 10-inning loss to the Angels — didn’t provide the storybook angle everyone wanted, Johnson’s debut with the Nationals seemed to leave everyone feeling good about the situation at large.
“It was old hat,” Johnson said of being handed the managerial controls again. “It’s kind of like flying an airplane. You don’t have to fly for a while, but you still get off the ground.”
The team Johnson officially inherited Monday played very much like the one he had been watching from afar over the last two weeks. The
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high