Jun 28, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa clubbed his 15th homer of the season last night.
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Davey Johnson knows a thing or two about playing second base. He did win three Gold Gloves at the position, mind you.
So when the Nationals' new manager starts heaping praise upon his rookie second baseman, Danny Espinosa, it carries some significant weight.
And Johnson couldn't stop raving about Espinosa after last night's game, particularly about two plays he made in the field during the Nationals' 4-3, 10-inning loss to the Angels: 1) His backing up of first base on a bunt play in which John Lannan threw wide, and 2) His turn of a slick, 5-4-3 double play.
"He made two plays today that, you know, I thought I was pretty good, but I'm not sure I could make them," Johnson said. "He saved us two runs in the first inning on the bunt when he got back there and he caught the ball. Because it would have been second and third, and a fly ball and they'd have scored two runs. Then the play he made onRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent