Jun 28, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Davey Johnson walked into Angel Stadium at 11 a.m. this morning. First pitch between the Nationals and Angels was still eight hours away. But where else would he rather be?
“I’ve done it a lot my whole life,” the Nationals’ new manager said. “The ballpark is your home. … I feel very comfortable here.”
That feeling of comfort is what led Johnson back to the dugout, back to the manager’s office and back to Major League Baseball after an 11-year hiatus. Asked by general manager Mike Rizzo to take over for the rest of this season (and perhaps beyond) following Jim Riggleman’s surprise resignation, the 68-year-old didn’t have to think twice.
“It was not a tough decision for me, to step in,” he said. “It’s really exciting to even have a chance to compete.”
Johnson has 14 years of big-league managerial experience on his resume. He’s won a World Series. He’s been named his league’s manager of the year. He’s skippered international competitions in
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?