Jun 28, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Davey Johnson walked into Angel Stadium at 11 a.m. this morning. First pitch between the Nationals and Angels was still eight hours away. But where else would he rather be?
“I’ve done it a lot my whole life,” the Nationals’ new manager said. “The ballpark is your home. … I feel very comfortable here.”
That feeling of comfort is what led Johnson back to the dugout, back to the manager’s office and back to Major League Baseball after an 11-year hiatus. Asked by general manager Mike Rizzo to take over for the rest of this season (and perhaps beyond) following Jim Riggleman’s surprise resignation, the 68-year-old didn’t have to think twice.
“It was not a tough decision for me, to step in,” he said. “It’s really exciting to even have a chance to compete.”
Johnson has 14 years of big-league managerial experience on his resume. He’s won a World Series. He’s been named his league’s manager of the year. He’s skippered international competitions in
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?