Jun 28, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Davey Johnson walked into Angel Stadium at 11 a.m. this morning. First pitch between the Nationals and Angels was still eight hours away. But where else would he rather be?
“I’ve done it a lot my whole life,” the Nationals’ new manager said. “The ballpark is your home. … I feel very comfortable here.”
That feeling of comfort is what led Johnson back to the dugout, back to the manager’s office and back to Major League Baseball after an 11-year hiatus. Asked by general manager Mike Rizzo to take over for the rest of this season (and perhaps beyond) following Jim Riggleman’s surprise resignation, the 68-year-old didn’t have to think twice.
“It was not a tough decision for me, to step in,” he said. “It’s really exciting to even have a chance to compete.”
Johnson has 14 years of big-league managerial experience on his resume. He’s won a World Series. He’s been named his league’s manager of the year. He’s skippered international competitions in
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter