Jun 28, 2011, 10:15 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to give Davey Johnson his first win tonight at Angel Stadium.
Lost amid all the hullabaloo over the Nationals managerial overhaul is this cold, hard fact: They still aren't hitting as a team. In their last three games, the Nats have produced a total of five runs and 11 hits. They've struck out 26 times while drawing only five walks. All five runs during those three games were scored via home run (three solo, one two-run shot).
The challenge for Davey Johnson, then, is to figure out whether any tweaks need to be made to his lineup. During his introductory news conference yesterday, he said he prefers to keep a stable lineup and avoiding the everyday mixing and matching that Jim Riggleman often did. True to form, Davey's second lineup as manager is identical to his first one.
On the other end of the spectrum, the Nationals pitching staff remains in top form, and they'll hope Jason Marquis continues the trend tonight. Marquis, of course, pitched a gem Thursday against the Mariners … only to get completely overshadowed by Riggleman's surprise resignation.
I've actually departed Anaheim and am en route home to D.C. as we speak. I wasn't originally scheduled to make that trip, but Davey's debut was too big a story to miss, so CSN was able to find a way to send me out west for the first game of the series. Enjoy tonight's game and the conversation among yourselves, and I'll be back at the ballpark for this weekend's series against the Pirates…
NATIONALS at ANGELS
Where: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Gametime: 10:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 182
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Laynce Nix
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen