Jun 29, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to avoid a series sweep this evening at Angel Stadium.
Davey Johnson mentioned the other night the need to perhaps give a couple of ailing guys some rest, especially with a scheduled day off tomorrow in advance of the homestand. So it's perhaps not surprising he's letting several regulars sit for this evening's series finale in Anaheim.
Jayson Werth is on the bench. So is Laynce Nix. So is Ian Desmond. That does lead to an unconventional lineup, featuring Brian Bixler in right field batting second, Matt Stairs (who recorded his first RBI last night) hitting cleanup and Alex Cora at shortstop.
That lineup will be facing a tough right-hander in Dan Haren, but the Nationals send their own tough righty to the mound in Jordan Zimmermann, seeking his 11th consecutive quality start.
As you know, I'm not in Anaheim for the end of this series, so enjoy the game (which thankfully is being played in prime time here on the East Coast). I'll be back at the ballpark Friday night for the start of the homestand…
NATIONALS at ANGELS
Where: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 182
Weather: Sunny, 74 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Brian Bixler
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Matt Stairs
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'