Jun 29, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT
Romero, 35, was designated for assignment by the Phillies on June 16 after losing his late-inning role to fellow relievers Antonio Bastardo and Mike Stutes. He posted a 3.86 ERA in 24 games, though he put 29 men on base in only 16 1/3 innings.
A key member of Philadelphia’s championship bullpen the past four seasons, Romero owns a career 4.07 ERA in parts of 13 seasons with the Twins, Angels, Red Sox and Phillies.
Romero will report to Syracuse but could be an option for Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo to promote later this summer. The club has been without a consistently effective left-handed reliever this season, with Sean Burnett struggling and Doug Slaten on the disabled list.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising