Jun 29, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT
Romero, 35, was designated for assignment by the Phillies on June 16 after losing his late-inning role to fellow relievers Antonio Bastardo and Mike Stutes. He posted a 3.86 ERA in 24 games, though he put 29 men on base in only 16 1/3 innings.
A key member of Philadelphia’s championship bullpen the past four seasons, Romero owns a career 4.07 ERA in parts of 13 seasons with the Twins, Angels, Red Sox and Phillies.
Romero will report to Syracuse but could be an option for Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo to promote later this summer. The club has been without a consistently effective left-handed reliever this season, with Sean Burnett struggling and Doug Slaten on the disabled list.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game