Jun 29, 2011, 6:31 PM EST
Romero, 35, was designated for assignment by the Phillies on June 16 after losing his late-inning role to fellow relievers Antonio Bastardo and Mike Stutes. He posted a 3.86 ERA in 24 games, though he put 29 men on base in only 16 1/3 innings.
A key member of Philadelphia’s championship bullpen the past four seasons, Romero owns a career 4.07 ERA in parts of 13 seasons with the Twins, Angels, Red Sox and Phillies.
Romero will report to Syracuse but could be an option for Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo to promote later this summer. The club has been without a consistently effective left-handed reliever this season, with Sean Burnett struggling and Doug Slaten on the disabled list.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing