Jun 30, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals have hovered around .500, even with Jayson Werth hitting .223.
Transport yourself back to March 31, as the Nationals were taking the field on Opening Day, and consider how you would have felt knowing these following facts would be true three months later:
1) Ryan Zimmerman would spend nine weeks on the disabled list.
2) Adam LaRoche would hit .172 and be lost for the season with a shoulder injury.
3) Jayson Werth would hit .223 and be on pace to drive in 54 runs.
4) Stephen Strasburg would not have thrown a pitch in the majors (though you already knew that would be the case going in).
5) The Nationals would hit the halfway point of the season with a 40-41 record.
Who amongst you could have imagined facts 1-through-4 would result in fact 5? When you put it this way, it's pretty impossible to believe, isn't it? But there the Nationals are, one game under .500 after 81 wildRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies