Jun 30, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals have hovered around .500, even with Jayson Werth hitting .223.
Transport yourself back to March 31, as the Nationals were taking the field on Opening Day, and consider how you would have felt knowing these following facts would be true three months later:
1) Ryan Zimmerman would spend nine weeks on the disabled list.
2) Adam LaRoche would hit .172 and be lost for the season with a shoulder injury.
3) Jayson Werth would hit .223 and be on pace to drive in 54 runs.
4) Stephen Strasburg would not have thrown a pitch in the majors (though you already knew that would be the case going in).
5) The Nationals would hit the halfway point of the season with a 40-41 record.
Who amongst you could have imagined facts 1-through-4 would result in fact 5? When you put it this way, it's pretty impossible to believe, isn't it? But there the Nationals are, one game under .500 after 81 wildRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge