Jul 1, 2011, 7:01 PM EST
Hairston was injured Wednesday evening in Anaheim when he was struck in the wrist by a Dan Haren fastball. Though X-rays revealed the small fracture, he initially expressed hope he could play through it.
The Nationals decided otherwise and placed the 35-year-old on the DL. He’s expected to miss anywhere from two-to-four weeks.
Ankiel returns after a two-week stint on the DL with a sprained wrist. He appeared in two rehab games with Class AAA Syracuse, going 1-for-7 with a double, a walk and two strikeouts.
The veteran hit .204 with one homer and nine RBI in 46 games, starting 38 of them in center field. Roger Bernadina has since taken over as the everyday center fielder and figures to continue getting the bulk of the playing time there.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year