Jul 1, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Hairston was injured Wednesday evening in Anaheim when he was struck in the wrist by a Dan Haren fastball. Though X-rays revealed the small fracture, he initially expressed hope he could play through it.
The Nationals decided otherwise and placed the 35-year-old on the DL. He’s expected to miss anywhere from two-to-four weeks.
Ankiel returns after a two-week stint on the DL with a sprained wrist. He appeared in two rehab games with Class AAA Syracuse, going 1-for-7 with a double, a walk and two strikeouts.
The veteran hit .204 with one homer and nine RBI in 46 games, starting 38 of them in center field. Roger Bernadina has since taken over as the everyday center fielder and figures to continue getting the bulk of the playing time there.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?