Jul 1, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Hairston was injured Wednesday evening in Anaheim when he was struck in the wrist by a Dan Haren fastball. Though X-rays revealed the small fracture, he initially expressed hope he could play through it.
The Nationals decided otherwise and placed the 35-year-old on the DL. He’s expected to miss anywhere from two-to-four weeks.
Ankiel returns after a two-week stint on the DL with a sprained wrist. He appeared in two rehab games with Class AAA Syracuse, going 1-for-7 with a double, a walk and two strikeouts.
The veteran hit .204 with one homer and nine RBI in 46 games, starting 38 of them in center field. Roger Bernadina has since taken over as the everyday center fielder and figures to continue getting the bulk of the playing time there.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager