Jul 1, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Hairston was injured Wednesday evening in Anaheim when he was struck in the wrist by a Dan Haren fastball. Though X-rays revealed the small fracture, he initially expressed hope he could play through it.
The Nationals decided otherwise and placed the 35-year-old on the DL. He’s expected to miss anywhere from two-to-four weeks.
Ankiel returns after a two-week stint on the DL with a sprained wrist. He appeared in two rehab games with Class AAA Syracuse, going 1-for-7 with a double, a walk and two strikeouts.
The veteran hit .204 with one homer and nine RBI in 46 games, starting 38 of them in center field. Roger Bernadina has since taken over as the everyday center fielder and figures to continue getting the bulk of the playing time there.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent