Jul 1, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Hairston was injured Wednesday evening in Anaheim when he was struck in the wrist by a Dan Haren fastball. Though X-rays revealed the small fracture, he initially expressed hope he could play through it.
The Nationals decided otherwise and placed the 35-year-old on the DL. He’s expected to miss anywhere from two-to-four weeks.
Ankiel returns after a two-week stint on the DL with a sprained wrist. He appeared in two rehab games with Class AAA Syracuse, going 1-for-7 with a double, a walk and two strikeouts.
The veteran hit .204 with one homer and nine RBI in 46 games, starting 38 of them in center field. Roger Bernadina has since taken over as the everyday center fielder and figures to continue getting the bulk of the playing time there.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list