Jul 1, 2011, 10:52 PM EST
In his previous managerial stints, Davey Johnson never shied away from speaking his mind. Eleven years away from the big-league game haven’t changed that.
Before making his home debut as manager of the Nationals, Johnson outlined a number of changes he’d like to see made to his roster, changes he believes will make him more “comfortable” guiding this team through the rest of this season and possibly beyond.
“I’m not really comfortable with the way everything fits together right now,” the 68-year-old skipper said. “I love the ballclub. I love the talent level. But I’m not really comfortable with the pieces and the way they fit together.”
Among the pieces Johnson would like to see added to the roster…
— A bench boasting more offensively minded players instead of the current defense-first group.
— A long man in the bullpen who could also serve as a No. 6 starter of
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos