Jul 1, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
In his previous managerial stints, Davey Johnson never shied away from speaking his mind. Eleven years away from the big-league game haven’t changed that.
Before making his home debut as manager of the Nationals, Johnson outlined a number of changes he’d like to see made to his roster, changes he believes will make him more “comfortable” guiding this team through the rest of this season and possibly beyond.
“I’m not really comfortable with the way everything fits together right now,” the 68-year-old skipper said. “I love the ballclub. I love the talent level. But I’m not really comfortable with the pieces and the way they fit together.”
Among the pieces Johnson would like to see added to the roster…
– A bench boasting more offensively minded players instead of the current defense-first group.
– A long man in the bullpen who could also serve as a No. 6 starter of
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate