Jul 1, 2011, 10:52 PM EST
In his previous managerial stints, Davey Johnson never shied away from speaking his mind. Eleven years away from the big-league game haven’t changed that.
Before making his home debut as manager of the Nationals, Johnson outlined a number of changes he’d like to see made to his roster, changes he believes will make him more “comfortable” guiding this team through the rest of this season and possibly beyond.
“I’m not really comfortable with the way everything fits together right now,” the 68-year-old skipper said. “I love the ballclub. I love the talent level. But I’m not really comfortable with the pieces and the way they fit together.”
Among the pieces Johnson would like to see added to the roster…
— A bench boasting more offensively minded players instead of the current defense-first group.
— A long man in the bullpen who could also serve as a No. 6 starter of
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?