Jul 1, 2011, 10:52 PM EST
In his previous managerial stints, Davey Johnson never shied away from speaking his mind. Eleven years away from the big-league game haven’t changed that.
Before making his home debut as manager of the Nationals, Johnson outlined a number of changes he’d like to see made to his roster, changes he believes will make him more “comfortable” guiding this team through the rest of this season and possibly beyond.
“I’m not really comfortable with the way everything fits together right now,” the 68-year-old skipper said. “I love the ballclub. I love the talent level. But I’m not really comfortable with the pieces and the way they fit together.”
Among the pieces Johnson would like to see added to the roster…
– A bench boasting more offensively minded players instead of the current defense-first group.
– A long man in the bullpen who could also serve as a No. 6 starter of
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal