Jul 2, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
Manager Davey Johnson acknowledged the club will promote someone from its farm system instead of asking left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to return on short rest. He wouldn't reveal the name of the soon-to-be promoted starter but said Detwiler "most definitely" is a candidate.
The Nationals need to make this move because of today's doubleheader against the Pirates, with Livan Hernandez and John Lannan each scheduled to pitch. They can make it through this turn of the rotation without any reinforcements, but face a dilemma for Tuesday's game.
Johnson said he wouldn't bring back a current starter on short rest.
"It's too early in the season to be bringing back guys on three days' rest," he said. "It really falls back on Gorzelanny. And he's had someRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast