Jul 2, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
Manager Davey Johnson acknowledged the club will promote someone from its farm system instead of asking left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to return on short rest. He wouldn't reveal the name of the soon-to-be promoted starter but said Detwiler "most definitely" is a candidate.
The Nationals need to make this move because of today's doubleheader against the Pirates, with Livan Hernandez and John Lannan each scheduled to pitch. They can make it through this turn of the rotation without any reinforcements, but face a dilemma for Tuesday's game.
Johnson said he wouldn't bring back a current starter on short rest.
"It's too early in the season to be bringing back guys on three days' rest," he said. "It really falls back on Gorzelanny. And he's had someRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi