Jul 2, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Manager Davey Johnson acknowledged the club will promote someone from its farm system instead of asking left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to return on short rest. He wouldn't reveal the name of the soon-to-be promoted starter but said Detwiler "most definitely" is a candidate.
The Nationals need to make this move because of today's doubleheader against the Pirates, with Livan Hernandez and John Lannan each scheduled to pitch. They can make it through this turn of the rotation without any reinforcements, but face a dilemma for Tuesday's game.
Johnson said he wouldn't bring back a current starter on short rest.
"It's too early in the season to be bringing back guys on three days' rest," he said. "It really falls back on Gorzelanny. And he's had someRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'