Jul 2, 2011, 4:25 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Matt Stairs is congratulated by Ian Desmond and Wilson Ramos.
There’s a certain level of trust a manager must give his players if he wants them to succeed, an acknowledgment on his part that he believes in each of the 25 individuals on his roster. And he must display that trust in different ways. It could be letting a starting pitcher work his way out of a seventh-inning jam. It could be letting a struggling young shortstop understand why you’re pinch-hitting for him with the game on the line.
And it could be letting a 43-year-old with a .132 batting average but a career’s worth of clutch hits step to the plate with all the marbles riding on that at-bat.
Davey Johnson has always been called a “players’ manager,” a designation that sounds good but means something only if it’s true. In Johnson’s case, it is. He puts trust in his players. And more often than not, they reward him for it.
How else to explain the decision to pinch-hit Matt Stairs for Ian Desmond in the bottom of the ninth Friday night, then watch as the aging slugger scorched a fastball from reliever Tim Wood off the right-field wall, the 360-foot single that gave the Nationals a 2-1 victory over the Pirates?
Never mind that Stairs was 4-for-32 with zero RBI as a pinch-hitter this season. That he’s been on the roster continuously since Opening
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season