Jul 3, 2011, 10:53 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jason Marquis gave up seven runs in only 1 1/3 innings.
The left fielder and cleanup hitter is already banged-up, dealing with a nagging Achilles’ tendon strain. The first baseman and potential All-Star sat out Sunday’s game with a bruised forearm and could miss another day. The $126 million right fielder had to come out of the game after taking a fastball to his left wrist and is unlikely to start Monday.
Meanwhile, the Face-of-the-Franchise third baseman is hitting .224 and still trying to find his swing after missing more than two months due to injury. The young shortstop has been playing with a sore thigh for weeks and probably needs a couple of days off.
And those are only the injuries we know about.
Throw in Jason Marquis’ dreadful start Sunday afternoon, leading to a 10-2 thumping at the hands of the Pirates, and the Nationals reach Independence Day in something of a tenuous position.
“I’m real concerned about it,” manager Davey Johnson said. “We kind of start getting healthy, and then, bang, something else happens. But
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up