Jul 3, 2011, 10:53 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jason Marquis gave up seven runs in only 1 1/3 innings.
The left fielder and cleanup hitter is already banged-up, dealing with a nagging Achilles’ tendon strain. The first baseman and potential All-Star sat out Sunday’s game with a bruised forearm and could miss another day. The $126 million right fielder had to come out of the game after taking a fastball to his left wrist and is unlikely to start Monday.
Meanwhile, the Face-of-the-Franchise third baseman is hitting .224 and still trying to find his swing after missing more than two months due to injury. The young shortstop has been playing with a sore thigh for weeks and probably needs a couple of days off.
And those are only the injuries we know about.
Throw in Jason Marquis’ dreadful start Sunday afternoon, leading to a 10-2 thumping at the hands of the Pirates, and the Nationals reach Independence Day in something of a tenuous position.
“I’m real concerned about it,” manager Davey Johnson said. “We kind of start getting healthy, and then, bang, something else happens. But
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?