Jul 3, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Tyler Clippard earned his first career All-Star selection.
Tyler Clippard was selected for the National League All-Star team this afternoon, a rare honor for a setup man who has dominated opposing hitters for two seasons but doesn’t often get recognition for it.
“Pretty shocking,” the Nationals reliever said moments after learning the news. “Pretty awesome.”
Clippard has been among the best relievers in the majors this year, entering today’s game with a 1.96 ERA in 37 appearances, striking out 57 batters in 46 innings.
The right-hander’s selection comes after a long and winding path that saw him transform from a highly touted starting prospect for the Yankees into a trusted reliever who’s often called upon to face the opponents’ toughest hitters with the game on the line. Evidence of Clippard’s success in high-leverage situations: He has allowed only six of 31 inherited runners to score this season.
“It’s tough to put into words, because of the process that it’s taken to get to this point in my career,” said Clippard, who was converted to a
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery