Jul 3, 2011, 4:34 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel slides in safely with the go-ahead run in the eighth.
This is not the style of baseball Davey Johnson wants his Washington Nationals to play.
Scraping together the tying and go-ahead runs in the bottom of the eighth on a hit batter, two walks, a double steal, a throwing error and an opposite-field single by his pinch-hitting backup catcher? Not exactly a page out of “Davey Johnson’s Guide to Managing.”
“I love to score runs,” he said from his office at Nationals Park following Saturday night’s 4-3 win over the Pirates, hours after a 5-3 loss in the opener of a doubleheader. “I’m kind of an offensive manager, and it’s … I’m having to open up a new playbook, and it’s not what I like: to have to steal and hope they throw it away and get a run across. We’ve got too many good hitters in that other room.”
Problem is, several of those “good” hitters in the Nationals clubhouse simply aren’t hitting right now. Ryan Zimmerman is sporting a .219 average (the second-lowest it’s ever been more than 100 at-bats into a big-league season). Jayson Werth is hitting .224 and striking out at an alarming rate (enough to convince a crowd of 39,638 Saturday night to boo the $126 million right fielder with gusto). Ian Desmond
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera