Jul 3, 2011, 4:34 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel slides in safely with the go-ahead run in the eighth.
This is not the style of baseball Davey Johnson wants his Washington Nationals to play.
Scraping together the tying and go-ahead runs in the bottom of the eighth on a hit batter, two walks, a double steal, a throwing error and an opposite-field single by his pinch-hitting backup catcher? Not exactly a page out of “Davey Johnson’s Guide to Managing.”
“I love to score runs,” he said from his office at Nationals Park following Saturday night’s 4-3 win over the Pirates, hours after a 5-3 loss in the opener of a doubleheader. “I’m kind of an offensive manager, and it’s … I’m having to open up a new playbook, and it’s not what I like: to have to steal and hope they throw it away and get a run across. We’ve got too many good hitters in that other room.”
Problem is, several of those “good” hitters in the Nationals clubhouse simply aren’t hitting right now. Ryan Zimmerman is sporting a .219 average (the second-lowest it’s ever been more than 100 at-bats into a big-league season). Jayson Werth is hitting .224 and striking out at an alarming rate (enough to convince a crowd of 39,638 Saturday night to boo the $126 million right fielder with gusto). Ian Desmond
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton