Jul 4, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Casey Coleman on Independence Day at Nationals Park.
It's the Fourth of July, and where would you rather be than at a ballgame in the nation's capital? (Well, maybe you'd rather be in Harrisburg for Bryce Harper's Class AA debut tonight, but that's another story.)
Here in the big leagues, the Nationals host the Cubs, who have dealt with all kinds of injuries to their pitching staff. Ryan Dempster was supposed to start today, but he was scratched with flu-like symptoms, so Casey Coleman (son of former Senators pitcher Joe Coleman) was called up from Class AAA for this game.
The Nats are dealing with their own nagging injuries, not on the pitching staff but in the lineup. Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse are both out today. Zimmerman has been experiencing what he called "general soreness" in his abdominal area, where he had the surgery, though he insists it's just a matter of getting himself back into midseason form, not a recurrence of injury.
Morse is still bothered by a badly bruised forearm. Team officials were worried at first Morse had suffered a hairline fracture (an X-ray suggested that could be the case) but an MRI revealed no fracture or other structural damage. Jayson Werth, meanwhile, is back in the lineup despite taking a fastball off his wrist yesterday.
Plenty of game updates to come here, and be sure to check the earlier Harper story for more details, including quotes from Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson…
CUBS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 87 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from LF
CF Roger Bernadina
3B Alex Cora
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels