Jul 4, 2011, 2:16 PM EST
Updated at 1:05 p.m.
The Nationals promoted top prospect Bryce Harper to Class AA Harrisburg today, a move that had been anticipated for some time but still carried some element of surprise given the organization’s decision to have the 18-year-old outfielder skip one level of its farm system.
Harper, who spent the season’s first three months at low-Class A Hagerstown, will debut for Harrisburg tonight at home against Erie. And, according to general manager Mike Rizzo, he’ll finish the season with the Senators before returning to play in the Arizona Fall League for the second consecutive year.
“We’d like for him to play at every level in our minor-league system,” Rizzo said. “He’s already played at the A-level. So we wanted to give him a month-and-a-half or so in Double-A, and then obviously we’re hoping he’ll play in the Arizona Fall League after this. So that’s our progression for him this year.”
Still, Harper’s advancement from the low-Class A South Atlantic League to the Class AA Eastern League is a blow to the high-Class A Potomac Nationals, who for the second straight season won’t get to
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day