Jul 4, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is congratulated by Ian Desmond upon scoring the winning run.
Jayson Werth stood at second base, watching as Cubs reliever Marcos Mateo departed the field alongside a trainer and Carlos Marmol entered from the bullpen without advance warning. He watched Marmol warm up, taking as much time as he needed given the injury to his teammate.
Obviously, Werth had ample opportunity to analyze the situation at hand. Bottom of the 10th. Tie game. One out. Ivan Rodriguez at the plate.
And one clear thought came to mind: Steal third base.
"In that situation, with one out, I'd rather be on third than on second," Werth said. "I just felt like, it was time to make something happen. It felt right."
So he took off as Marmol delivered his first pitch and slid safely into third base. Cubs catcher Geovany Soto never even attempted to throwRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series