Jul 5, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
The club’s corresponding move, however, came as a surprise: Reliever Collin Balester was designated for assignment, removing him from the organization’s 40-man roster at least temporarily.
Balester is in his final option year, so the Nationals could have sent him to Syracuse without risk of losing him. However, by designating him, the club clears a spot on the 40-man which could be used to add another player.
A Nationals official said the club expects Balester to remain in the organization, though, and should be back on the 40-man roster within two days.
UPDATE AT 4:43 P.M. — To clear up some confusion here (both yours and mine), this was a mostly procedural move. It turns out the Nationals can’t option Balester to Syracuse because more than three years have passed since he made his big-league debut. Though technically he’s been DFA’d, there’s no risk of the Nats losing him. He’ll remain in the organization.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss