Jul 5, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
The club’s corresponding move, however, came as a surprise: Reliever Collin Balester was designated for assignment, removing him from the organization’s 40-man roster at least temporarily.
Balester is in his final option year, so the Nationals could have sent him to Syracuse without risk of losing him. However, by designating him, the club clears a spot on the 40-man which could be used to add another player.
A Nationals official said the club expects Balester to remain in the organization, though, and should be back on the 40-man roster within two days.
UPDATE AT 4:43 P.M. — To clear up some confusion here (both yours and mine), this was a mostly procedural move. It turns out the Nationals can’t option Balester to Syracuse because more than three years have passed since he made his big-league debut. Though technically he’s been DFA’d, there’s no risk of the Nats losing him. He’ll remain in the organization.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate