Jul 5, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler makes his first big-league appearance of the season tonight.
It's been a while since Ross Detwiler first joined the Nationals organization (four years) and it's been a while since we last saw the left-hander pitching in the big leagues (Sept. 29, 2010). Tonight, the former first-round draft pick makes his return to Nationals Park, making what was billed as a spot start made necessary by Saturday's doubleheader against the Pirates.
If Davey Johnson has his way, though, this may be more than a one-time appearance. The Nationals manager suggested Detwiler could remain with the club, shifting to the bullpen and serving as the long reliever/emergency starter he's been seeking. It's also possible Detwiler could make another start before the All-Star break, because the Nats are thinking about shelving Jordan Zimmermann for a week or two in an attempt to stretch his season out before he hits his 160-inning limit.
First things first, though: Detwiler tonight faces the Cubs, who send a familiar face to the mound themselves. Ramon Ortiz, who nearly threw a no-hitter at RFK Stadium in 2006, is back in the big leagues and starts tonight for Chicago. He'll face a Nationals lineup still missing Michael Morse (who is available to pinch-hit).
One final reminder: First Lady Michelle Obama will be attending tonight's game as part of a promotion honoring military families. Fans are encouraged to arrive at the ballpark early, because there will be extra security.
Updates to come…
CUBS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 88 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF
LF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend