Jul 5, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix has played admirably through nagging injuries and position changes.
Before the top of the seventh inning yesterday afternoon, Davey Johnson approached Laynce Nix with a simple question: "When's the last time you played first base?"
Nix told his manager he didn't think he'd done it since high school.
To which Johnson replied: "Well, you've got a good memory, don't you?"
So it was that Nix — veteran of 1,093 professional games in the major and minor leagues, all of them spent in the outfield — found himself standing at first base in the top of the seventh of a tight ballgame.
And found himself tracking down a pop-foul off the bat of the very first batter that came to the plate. And then found himself scooping a low throw out of the dirt from third baseman Alex Cora.
"Of course the game is going to find you when you move to a new spot," he said later with a laugh. "It's always kind of funny how thatRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos