Jul 5, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix has played admirably through nagging injuries and position changes.
Before the top of the seventh inning yesterday afternoon, Davey Johnson approached Laynce Nix with a simple question: "When's the last time you played first base?"
Nix told his manager he didn't think he'd done it since high school.
To which Johnson replied: "Well, you've got a good memory, don't you?"
So it was that Nix — veteran of 1,093 professional games in the major and minor leagues, all of them spent in the outfield — found himself standing at first base in the top of the seventh of a tight ballgame.
And found himself tracking down a pop-foul off the bat of the very first batter that came to the plate. And then found himself scooping a low throw out of the dirt from third baseman Alex Cora.
"Of course the game is going to find you when you move to a new spot," he said later with a laugh. "It's always kind of funny how thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine