Jul 5, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix has played admirably through nagging injuries and position changes.
Before the top of the seventh inning yesterday afternoon, Davey Johnson approached Laynce Nix with a simple question: "When's the last time you played first base?"
Nix told his manager he didn't think he'd done it since high school.
To which Johnson replied: "Well, you've got a good memory, don't you?"
So it was that Nix — veteran of 1,093 professional games in the major and minor leagues, all of them spent in the outfield — found himself standing at first base in the top of the seventh of a tight ballgame.
And found himself tracking down a pop-foul off the bat of the very first batter that came to the plate. And then found himself scooping a low throw out of the dirt from third baseman Alex Cora.
"Of course the game is going to find you when you move to a new spot," he said later with a laugh. "It's always kind of funny how thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Behind Harper power surge, Nats outlast Marlins
- Harper goes yard for 3 HR's against Marlins
- New Nats veteran reliever reports to minor league affiliate
- Nats' reliever Casey Janssen ready for big step in rehab
- Werth sidelined again with "cranky" shoulder
- Strasburg hopes chiropractor can fix shoulder
- Aaron Barrett joins STL to discuss Nats recent success
- Bullpen holds after Strasburg's early exit, but Nats fall
- PHOTOS: RG3 attends Nationals-Marlins Tuesday
- Nationals preview adorable Pet Day calendar