Game 88: Cubs at Nats

Jul 6, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look to make it three in a row tonight against the Cubs.

As much as the Nationals have struggled offensively, they haven't been able to field their full lineup since Friday's homestand opener against the Pirates. That's a span of five games. So, if nothing else, Davey Johnson has to feel good being able to pencil out a lineup card tonight that includes Laynce Nix, Michael Morse and Jayson Werth (among others).

With everybody healthy and available, Johnson has dropped Werth to the 6-hole (behind Nix and Morse). We'll have to see if that helps get the right fielder going. You've certainly got to assume he's going to get plenty of opportunities with men on base.

Tom Gorzelanny, acquired from the Cubs over the winter, makes the start against his former team. If you're wondering about the guys the Nats dealt to Chicago to get Gorzelanny … Michael Burgess is currently hitting .202 with 10 homers and 43 RBI at Class A Daytona, Graham Hicks is 1-3 with a 4.01 ERA at low-Class A Peoria and A.J. Morris has yet to pitch this season due to a shoulder injury.

Updates to come, so please check back…

CUBS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 88 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Laynce Nix

Read more ยป

1. JaneB - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM

6 hole is the charm.GYFNG!

2. Donny Samson - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Best line-up they can put out there

3. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I like our chances!What JaneB said.

4. Canad's #1 Nats Fan - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I would call that our "A" line-up. I like it!

5. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Atta girl, Jane! Let's keep positive. I'm with you. I like the line up, and batting order tonight.I still wonder about Michael Burgess' future. It seemed like we gave him up kind of cheaply. Maybe Rizzo knew something that we didn't, though I can't imagine that the general manager knew more then the folks on NI.

6. Mickey Vernon - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM

From SB*Nation Chicago: "Wells has had a rough go since returning from the DL at the end of May. In only two of his seven starts since then has he allowed three runs or fewer, and his ERA on the season now stands at 6.59 while his WHIP is 1.63. In his career against Washington, Wells is even worse, at 1-1 with a 7.15 ERA and 1.50 WHIP. Jayson Werth has hit Wells in limited action, going 2-for-3 with a double.

7. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Joe, a halfway decent lefty starter is pretty good return on a maybe guy like Burgess, I think.

8. David - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

agree. this is the best lineup we've had all year. all can be reasonably expected to contribute except Desmond and Gorzo.

9. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I doubt we would have ever seen this lineup from Jim Riggleman.And I think this is the kind of lineup Davey was talking about when he said he'd like to establish some consistency in the everyday lineup.I like it alot.

10. Nats Outsider - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM

11. PAY TO PLAY - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Steve M. said… Let's see what Davey can do with Werth who is pivotal for the 2nd half push. One thing I can tell you about Werth is that he works his butt off. The results aren't there. My observations have been he pulls his left leg towards the outside of the batters box opening himself up and flailing on outside pitches. He can hit and will hit. He just needs to settle into a groove. Luckily Davey pushed him back to the 5 hole and maybe he needs to settle into the 6th hole. I hate to hear any of "our" guys being boo'd as he is trying hard. Just hoping for him to get into a groove and get going.July 6, 2011 3:14 PM SteveM, good call on Werth in the 6 hole. Did you peak as Mark was typing?

12. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Evaluation continues. All Star Break coming up.

13. Mickey Vernon - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Desmond was a decent hitter with pop before this season when he seems to have adopted and exaggerated version on the foot-in-the bucket stance and moved farther fromt he plate. Watching MLB channel, it seems that the stance is being used by a lot of right handed hitters, but I've seen none who stand as far off the plate as Desi.

14. Mickey Vernon - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I should have said Desi and Ramos.

15. Zebulon Pike - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM

SteveM, good call on Werth in the 6 hole. Did you peak as Mark was typing? July 6, 2011 3:51 PM ————–Yup, it's all downhill from here.

16. Steve M. - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

PAY TO PLAY said… SteveM, good call on Werth in the 6 hole. Did you peak as Mark was typing? July 6, 2011 3:51 PMP2P, nope no peeking. LOL I actually started writing that well before 3pm and glad these time stamp to show I wrote it before the lineup was revealed so had no clue other than the conversation I had with Davey last night.

17. NatStat - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Agreed Nats Oursider. Michael Burgess will never see the inside of a MLB clubhose–unless it's in a job apart from being a ball player. Four years at A level, or less, in the minors should get him thinking about another career.

18. PAY TO PLAY - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Zebulon Pike, gotcha. Peek instead of Peak and not a Peking Duck!

19. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Nats Outsider said…"I still wonder about Michael Burgess' future. It seemed like we gave him up kind of cheaply."Really? The kid has played for 4 years now, and I don't think he has ever made it above Class A. What else do you need to know about his chances to make it to the majors?July 6, 2011 3:49 PMThe operative word there was 'seemed" not "seems". At the time of the trade there was grumbling by several folks that felt that Burgess was destined to be a star.

20. PAY TO PLAY - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM

NatStat, the joke goes, the only way he will ever see the inside of a MLB Clubhouse is on a stadium tour.

21. Mark'd - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Joe Seamhead, Burgess 3 years ago had a memorabilia deal in place as many had him pegged as a star. That is why High School stars are such a big risk.

22. The Joker - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Obviously, the Nats need Adam Dunn back. Trade a marginal prospet like Stephen King for Dunn with the caveat that the White Sox pay $ 25 million of Dunn's salary for four years. We could bat Werth and Dunn 6th and 7th with Nix 4th and Morse 5th. What a wicked, capricious world we live in.

23. Mark'd - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM

SteveM, you always amaze me, in a good way that is!

24. LoveDaNats - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I look at this lineup and see so many powerful hitters there. They could be SO good. I can't wait for them to break out. I know they will.

25. MicheleS - Jul 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

JaneB.. I am with you! Werth in the 6th hole will be the charm! Thinking Happy Thoughts for tonights lineup!!!I did like hearing DJ's comments last night that Werth was taking a lot of responsiblity for the youngsters in the clubhouse early on. Shows he cares, wants to win, and teach!

26. jd - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I took a peek at Jayson Werth's fangraphs numbers and I came away with 2 thoughts/questions: 1) How do you pay a guy with these lifetime numbers (.266 .362 .470) $17 mil a year for 7 years at age 32? 2) How can he possibly be having the year he is having this year (.221 .326 .377)?

27. Steve M. - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

MarkZuckerman on Twitter…Zimmermann will start Sunday, Detwiler to bullpen as #Nats long man. 25 minutes ago And there you have it! Plan Davey in effect and the way it should have been on March 31st…just sayin'Again, you have to wonder if Riggleman had the pull with Rizzo as this has been discussed by me a few times and I know Rizzo resisted it as well as some people on this blog.I felt in Spring Training that Detwiler had to be part of this team and glad he is. Now if I could just convince Davey to turn Stairs into a Coach……and to Mark'd thanks, in a good way!

28. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I look at the lineup and thik "Rizzo is working his way right out of this job." This roster is lucky as can be to be winning games. Iffy, old bench, role players in key lineup spots every night. Howe many years in Rizzo gonna assemble these awkward rosters before guys like Mark and Kilogre start calling him out? It is pushing that luck to think that the club can keep throwing guys into new roles and expect them to produce. Rizzo needs to make a move and get a legit every day LH bat with power in this lineup. Nix with 2 hits in 21 AB's againt LHP is not a guy they can really rely upon (the guy has less than 100 AB's versus lefties in the last 3 years; there is a reason for that); and Ankiel is not the answer either. Give Johnson some weapons. If a trade can't be made, call Harper up and give the kid a roll. No real reason not to do so.dfh21

29. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM

For those of you that need a good laugh.. Go Over to masnsports and watch Clipp and Store do MTV Cribs! Who knew Clipp had Bieber Fever!http://www.masnsports.com/drew_storen/2011/07/an-insiders-look-at-the-storen-clippard-household.html

30. Steve M. - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:41 PM

dfh21 – Instead of finding lefties who you think can hit lefties, you have a better option of Morse in LF against a lefty starter and Marrero playing 1st base.After Cora coming in as a defensive replacement in the 9th and dropping the 3rd out of that double play, I think the time is to get Marrero here. He deserves it and would play twice a week and sometimes more. I know a lot of people think he needs to play every day to progress. This would also allow Nix to rest that achilles and give the team some outfield depth.Davey also has the ability against RH pitchers to sit Werth and try Bernadina in LF, Ankiel in CF, and Nix in RF and use Werth as a PH.The team has plenty of LH batters right now as they also have the PH Ace Matt Stairs!

31. Jason Marquis - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM

SteveM – Hey, I can bat left handed too!

32. Bill Withers - Jul 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I can't write left-handed.

33. Venus de Milo - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Me either.

34. m20832 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

The team has plenty of LH batters right now as they also have the PH Ace Matt Stairs! Lordy, I just love sarcasm. Nice one SteveM.!I can hunt and peck the keyboard left handed.What an Awesome line up!GYFNG!!!

35. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Werth 2 hits from the 6 hole.

36. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Who is pitching for the Cubs tonight? Randy Wells who is poor at best, or Cy Wells?

37. gonatsgo - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I am guessing that since everyone has already decided that the cubs pitcher is the worst pitcher since daniel cabrera, and Jayson Werth from the 6 spot is brilliant– that the cubs will no-hit us and win 1 to nothing.Playing the game on paper is never a good idea. It hexes the baseball gods and makes them angry. Just sayin'….

38. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM

gonatsgo…speedy bernadina just made the baseball gods happy!! WOO HOO!!!

39. goyounatsgo - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM

*vexes

40. MicheleS - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I LOVE THE KLAXINOSA!!!!! ESPI IS ROY!!!!

41. Gonat - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Some conventional runs scored! Finally!

42. gonatsgo - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!! Keep those hits coming, boys!

43. Gonat - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

…and just like that it is tied. Can our lefties do that against lefties?That looked like a Slaten pitch. NOT LIKE

44. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Ok – starting over now. Need more hits, please. ARGGGGGGH!

45. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I am telling you this – our guys don't know how to pitch with a lead of more than 1 run. They just have to give it back so that they can pitch in a tie or one run game. That's why we have scored so much in the bottom of the 9th or extra innings at home – then the other team doesn't get a chance to match it. It's a disease – adrenaline addiction. Is there a cure?

46. Anonymous8 - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Did Gorzolanny know that Carlos Pena is a HR hitter?He pitched him like a lousy LOOGY.

47. Gonat - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

The ball is carrying tonight.

48. Cwj - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM

I was wondering if anyone remembers what happened to another high school player they drafted a few years ago…Dustin Hood or something like that?I can't seem to find his name anywhere.

49. NatsNut - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Gorzelanny owes Bernadina a beer

50. Andrew - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Destin Hood is finally doing well in High A Potomac.

51. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM

@ NatsNuts 7:57Several beers. Premium or imported, not the cheap stuff.

52. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM

How many 400-foot pitches is Gorzy going to throw tonight?

53. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM

1 for 8 RISP after 3 innings. Johnson says that has to improve, but tonight it hasn't yet.

54. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Make that 1 for 9 RISP.Bernie seems to have caught Jayson Werth disease.

55. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM

1 for 9 RISP. That is exactly what Johnson has been ralking about not swinging at strike 3s. Where would that ball have to be for Bernadina to swing. It was right over the middle. Obviously Eckstein has coached them to be picky. Not on strike 3.

56. MicheleS - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM

UGH..I need to go to the store for more tums.. It's never easy is it?

57. TimDz - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Did anyone else see the shot of Zim grabbing his side and wincing after throwing out Barney?

58. gonatsgo - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM

You know, they really should start selling tums at the concession stands. Gorzo gets a hit and turns over the line-up and Bernie watches a called third strike. This has been going on for over a half a season, if the new manager thinks he has the right words or magic to make it stop, then more power to him. If there was an easy fix, Riggs would have done it couple months ago. I don't care where you hit in the line-up – it's not bad pitches they are getting, it's bad hitting by them. How long will it be before Johnson axes Eckstein the way he axed McClaren and Radison?? OOOOOOO GOOOOO ZIIMMMMMM!!!!!!!

59. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM

That helped all of his stats! Way to go Zim!!!!

60. CBinDC - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Hi all …I just wanted to chime in that booing Werth makes no sense at all ……maybe a collective sigh ….booing just does nothing but add to the pain ……but the Zims jack is no pain LOL

61. baseballswami - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM

TimDZ – yes, I saw Zimm wincing. Major abdominal surgery is no joke – he is pushing himself.

62. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM

@MicheleS: Tums are fine, as far as they go. But the official late-inning drink here at Nats Insider is bourbon and Maalox.

63. josh f - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM

ARRRRGGGGG Werth and Ramos – those were *bad* at-bats…

64. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Gorzelanny is hitting better than Werth. Nothing wrong with Ramos. Give credit to the pitcher some times.

65. MicheleS - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:56 AM

sunshine.. can i just have the bourbon?Who knew the best at bat of the night would be Gorzo's?

66. baseballswami - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM

So – Werth and Ramos fold with risp. Desi walked to get to the pitcher — and the big inning goes "pop". I know it's been said over and over again – but Jayson Werth just looks really bad at the plate.Gorzelanny just put on a fantastic at bat — better than the guys who are supposed to be hitters. The crowd loves it! That was awesome! But- I hope it didn't tire him too much. I would hate to see those 2 runs get given right back again.

67. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM

1 for 12 now with RISP.Ramos another called 3rd strike. Why? My guess again goes back to Eckstein's style. Not demanding of the players.Gorzy did what Ramos should have. Foul off pitches until you get one. He swung at a bad pitch to end it, but much more desire than Werth or Ramos showed.

68. baseballswami - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Werth – you suck! What did I just say about giving those runs back????? ARGGGGHGHHH!!!!!

69. Anonymous8 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Thank you Werth for fielding that ball from Castro. When you can't hit, you have to play defense.

70. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Werth is a fraud!

72. Joe Seamhead - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM

So, Bryce is 1-2 so far tonight,a single, with a sac. bunt advancing runners or first and second, and a SB.OMG, Jason, you gotta catch that one.Oops, tie game.

73. TimDz - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Jinx Swammi?

74. Joe Seamhead - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Bryce advanced runners that were on 1st and 2nd.

75. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I like how Gorzo went after Carlos Pena in the last 2 at-bats.I am sure he regrets that 1st HR. Not much you can say about Aramis Ramirez. That guy is locked in el fuego.

76. CBinDC - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Johnson should consider sitting Jason at least one game he is not acting as if he really thinks in positive out comes

77. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM

@Michele: Absolutely, positively, hold the Maalox. Straight bourbon is fine. And you might want to pour one for Davey while you're at it. He certainly looks like he needs it.

78. Sunderland - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM

A completely random guess. I wonder if Werth had an exemption for ADD drugs the past two seasons. There is definitely something different about the guy this season.

79. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Shairon Martis with another nice start. 1 earned run in his start in Harrisburg. This guy is back on the radar. Anyone know what has changed with him? My guess is he finally is getting his pitches down in the zone which was his problem the last 2 years.

80. Anonymous8 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Ryan Zimmerman looks like he is running faster. Maybe it is that aerodynamic batting helmet!

81. Sunderland - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM

And so the theory is that Boras advised to not mention the ADD during free agency or risk diminishing his value. So he's playing this season without it.I'll stop now.

82. TimDz - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Lucky play…We'll take it….Just don't let Mattheus back in for the 8th…

83. CBinDC - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:25 AM

ADD is not his problem ……depression is …he looks depressed ……and he is way to measured in his talk I think he is trying to hard to cover up doubt but it shows up in his manner ……the looking at called thirds is the clearest example of the doubt but measured approach

84. Andrew - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM

WOW WOW WOW WOW

85. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Uncle Davey, playing that Small Ball or Smart Ball, or whatever the hell Riggs called it. Who knew Ramos could bunt?

86. TimDz - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM

THAT took cajones….

87. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Rumor has it that Werth may retire and become the caveman in the GEICO commercial.

88. dj in Fl - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM

89. Andrew - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Bryce Harper 2 for 3 with a Sac Bunt and a Stolen Base tonight in a 4-3 win

90. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM

dj in Fl said… Davey is learning how to play small ball in a hurry. Good for him, we have proven we can not drive in a runner if our life depended on it. July 6, 2011 9:33 PM ____________________________Good point. Unless it is on a HR, it is from SmallBall/BizarreBall/SmartBall.I think Davey needs to do a MASN commercial. "I don't call it Small Ball, I call it Bizarre Ball".

91. Andrew - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Henry Rodriguez is becoming a pitcher before our eyes. What a sequence!Nice to give Clip a night off in the 8th!

92. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:45 AM

you know, one of these days, I want HROD to go all Nuke Laloosh on us and hit Screech.

93. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Do you think that Jayson Werth for the Nats = Alfonso Soriano for the Cubs?

94. Cwj - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Yesssssss!!!!!!!!!Go Nats!!!!

95. TimDz - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM

THAT was a 1 2 3 inning!!!

96. Cwj - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Mattheus, Clippard, H-Rod, Storen…what a bullpen!

97. MicheleS - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:03 AM

SWEET!

98. Cwj - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:05 AM

TimDz- To be honest I was worried when Storen came in tonight. He hasn't been missing many bats lately (strikeouts way down over last 10+ games), so it's great to see him get a 1-2-3 with a K.Go Nats!Awesome :)

99. FS - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Anon 9:45, I hope not.Glad to win another one but I fear for Storen. All star break can not come sooner. You know what I hope Clippard is not used in ASG either. Yes, it is a distinction and all but he has been used a lot and ASB will be better than ASG.

100. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Cwj – Mattheus? That guy groved a strike and got lucky. We will take it but have to call it like it was.

101. Cwj - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Mark Z- Actually HRod averages only 1 wild pitch every 4 innings :-)

102. Cwj - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Gonat- Yes Mattheus. Luck, good and bad, is part of the game.Don't kill my buzz :-)

103. MicheleS - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:17 AM

A good thing about this game.. We scored 5 runs…

104. baseballswami - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Bring on the bourbon!! Nice to see Zim's swing tonight. We seem to need a ton of hits to score some runs. Storen took care of that one pretty quickly , didn't he? HRod was smokin' hot today, too! GYFNG!

105. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Wheeeeee…another one-run game! I called the Gorzy hit, btw. Too bad he didn't get to come around after, but it worked out in the end. Glad that (Vote 4) Morse's head wasn't taken off during the first squeeze attempt.And nobody can kill your buzz unless you let them, Cwj. ;-)Another good thing about this game…we won…

106. TimDz - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM

107. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Maybe the post of the night from TimDz:TimDz said… I think the Nats brass needs to make a tee-shirt with Christopher Walken's face with the phrase,"KLAXON!!!I need more KLAXON!!!!" Ring that Klaxon, and GYFNG!!!Bourbon all around for those who want it. Maalox all around for those who need it.

108. A DC Wonk - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Perhaps Z is busting out, eh?

109. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:31 AM

When a suicide squeeze works, it usually demoralizes the other team plus will get you good press on ESPN!

110. Dave - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM

So Davey Johnson called for, by his own admission, his first squeeze play in his managerial career. Twice. Failed the first time, succeeded the…[sputter, snort]…SECOND time in the same at-bat.Wow. That was an entertaining game. Good to see that Zimmy seems to be back with us, too.

111. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Only thing with the cowbell theme is that the Rays have already used it.

112. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Watching the Gorzelanny post-game interview. He made most every question asked sound like a stupid question! Mark, did you ask the question "….Cubs going through rotation wise, man they could have used me"

113. gonatsgo - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Debbie Taylor asks stupid questions – Tom Gorzelanny just made no attempt to help her cover it up. Kind of worried about RZim tonight — he ran a lot, winced after a throw. I wonder what he's going to feel like in the morning and how much motrin it's taking him to keep going. He's a great guy and has so much passion for the game – but I think he is playing with considerable discomfort. 2 notes : JW the only player that did not contribute offensively — although he did have a sac fly, so I guess that counts for something, and… no Matt Stairs tonight.

114. Cwj - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM

115. Drew8 - Jul 7, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Danny Espinosa is on a pace for 29.4 home runs. To put that 2b pop in perspective:Career highs in homers:Davey Johnson 43Rogers Hornsby 42Ryne Sandberg 40Jeff Kent 37Chase Utley 33Dan Uggla 33Joe Gordon 32Bobby Grich 30Brandon Phillips 30Robinson Cano 29Lou Whitaker 28Bobby Doerr 27Joe Morgan 27Craig Biggio 26Charlie Gehringer 20Jackie Robinson 19Tony Lazzeri 18Frankie Frisch 12Did I mention that Espinosa is a ROOKIE?Imagine when he's further insulated by Harper and Rendon. Oh my.

116. Grandstander - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:20 AM

I'm going to sneak this in before the gamer but is Espinosa OK? He looked hurt out there, something with his shoulder, but he played out the game. Any word on that?

117. NatStat - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Morse needs to take out cajones bunt insurance; or alternately Ramos needs to learn Bo's bunt sign. The main thing is that MM is still alive–probably lots of nightmares tonight, as he sleeps on his right side.

118. Drew8 - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Farm report:At Hagerstown Robbie Ray threw six scoreless innings, dropping his ERA to 1.75. He has 56 strikeouts and 18 walks.At Potomac, Destin Hood is quietly putting together a fine season. He's up to 51 RBIs in 75 games.At Harrisburg, Harper went 3 for 3 with a stolen base and an RBI. In three games he's hitting .500; I don't think he's overmatched.If you haven't seen it, Harper got skybox treatment on the front page of Wednesday's USA Today, and he was the centerpiece story on the Sports front. I'm looking forward to seeking Harper Friday in Richmond, where the tickets are selling briskly.In Syracuse, Lombo is showing how rarified an air he was in. Two oh-fers have dropped him from a stunning .424 to a fabulous .373.

119. Drew8 - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Grandstander:They said on the radio that Espy jammed his left shoulder while sliding headfirst into second base.They checked him out and left him in — a good sign that it wasn't something serious like a collarbone.

120. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:33 AM

Definitely second the post of the night nomination for TimDz … Post of the week, at least, maybe month. Brilliant!I may change my handle to Klaxon Jackson!

121. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Cwj said… Gonat- Yeah Gorzelanny didn't sound very enthusiastic. Kinda odd, I thought.Then again, I can imagine that players would get annoyed when asked what it feels like to leave/face/beat their former team 3 times in one interview (Debbie Taylor, I believe).Still, would be nice to see Gorzo smile and act like he cares occasionally. July 6, 2011 10:56 PM _______________________________I hope the FO saw that Post Game interview. That is the way you act when you lose. I have seen Sean Burnett nicer in a blownup relief appearance.BTW, did you all see this past week what Buck Showalter did to his young stud pitcher Brian Matusz?If you didn't, Showalter announced in his post-game loss press conference that Matusz was demoted to AAA. Then the press ran down Matusz in one of those bad game moments with Sean Burnett.Showalter showed no class. That franchise is an absolute mess.

122. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM

RISP 1 for 16 and still win. It could be a little easier guys.

123. Anonymous8 - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Manassas Nats Fan said… RISP 1 for 16 and still win. It could be a little easier guys. July 6, 2011 11:41 PM ___________________________How do you score Ramos suicide squeeze? Is that factored in since it wasn't a hit? Espi got 1 on the HR.

124. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:53 AM

Mark Zuckerman on Twitter….Davey claims that was 1st time he's ever called for a squeeze.1 hour ago _____________________Hard to believe. I see a new MASN commercial in his future!

125. Dave - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:55 AM

I was trying to imagine Davey doing a MASN commercial this evening. Can't see it, frankly.

126. JaneB - Jul 7, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Expect it.I do, now. I really do.

127. m20832 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM

These Boys of Summer have a great attitude now because they are winning! Let's get the broom out and sweep the cubbies! So different from last year against the cubbies. The game I went to my daughter and I left in the seventh inning we were so disgusted at the lack of effort and just plain laziness that Nat's team displayed.It's a different year and boy, it sure is fun to watch these cardiac kids!GYFNG!!

128. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The suicide squeeze was ruled a sacrifice no time at bat. You can score runs without hits. but we didn't even do that except the sacrifice