Jul 6, 2011, 4:27 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler earned his first win of 2011 with 5 1/3 solid innings.
Drew Storen doesn't really remember what it's like to take the mound with anything greater than a one-run lead. Not that the Nationals closer is complaining about the minuscule margin for error he usually has when he gets the ball.
"I love it," he said. "I kind of don't want it any other way. It makes my job a little harder, and I kind of enjoy the pressure."
Storen might as well be speaking for the entire Nationals roster, which has become so comfortable playing tight games that victories like Tuesday 3-2 triumph over the Cubs just feel like any other night at the ballpark.
Incredibly, the Nationals have gone 12-3 in one-run games since June 1. Their last nine victories have all come by either one run or in extra innings.
It's enough to make a 68-year-old manager's already thinning, gray hair find its way to the shower drain.
"I love one-run games, believe me," Davey Johnson said. "But every decision you make in a one-run ballgame is kind of critical. Once in aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase